Timber Linn triploid already caught

T
TTFishon
steelhead_stalkers said:
Triploids are raised and can be used in other bodies of water to not interfere with native fish reproduction. They also grow faster so they are more cost effective being that you can raise fish to a larger size faster and they are also better eating.

I understand that part of triploid use but do they use DNA from one fish to produce more triploids or....? It's obvious I have no idea of the triploid producing process. I suppose I can google it but if you happen to know please feel free to inform me of the process.

B
bigsteel
from what i can tell its just a huge lake trout that doesn't reproduce,,,,,

T
TTFishon
Ya but how do biologists produce them?

B
bigsteel
I dont know

N
nwkiller
just got in on the thread....ya...no way is a hatchery fish of any sort gonna take a record, i dont know what the exact rules are but.....no way just wouldnt be right

T
Thuggin4Life
it has to do with breeding regular trout a certain way to get a triploid. some x and y scientific stuff i read once.

T
the_intimidator03
It could have also been a triploid from the start and kept at the hatchery for years on display kind of like the sturgeon at bonneville along with the trout there. Then as it reached near old age they thought may as well let someone have an opportunity to catch a fish of a lifetime.

T
TTFishon
Kodiak said:
The 29lber came from roaring river hatchery. The guys up there grew it to that size just so some kid could catch it. Knowing what they fed it and that it is most likely hungry I could see it getting hammered by some kid in the next week. Probably my kid....LOL...BTW yes it does qualify as the state record. I also know what pen it was raised in and where it would lay in that pen...Pics comming soon..If it's in there its toast.

I hope a kid does catch it but I think it's wrong for it to be a record. Unless there's an asterik stating "record hatchery trout"

T
TTFishon
Kodiak said:
Most of the trout planted in orego are triploids. They don't want them breeding with the naitive stock. If a hatchery fish gets big, and some kid drills the new state record so be it. It's not like the fish is Barry Bonds on steroids or anything.

Except for the fact that it was raised in a controlled environment without predators nurtured to keep growing and growing.

T
the_intimidator03
that is true TT in the 2nd link it shows you how they run fish pens in washington up on lake roosevelt.... wonder where THOSE fish sit after being released... underneath the pen catching the food thats missed

B
Bass Ackwards
You don't have to worry about it anymore. A buddy of mine was down at timberland a couple days ago and said they found the 29lber dead on the side of the pond. He had a pic and everything.

troutdude
troutdude
That's a bummer. I wonder what killed it? Shock? Maybe someone fought it for a while and it didn't revive? We may never know. Would've been fun to see a kid bag it. We would've had an "instant OFF'er" in the making.

T
the_intimidator03
there are many reasons for this fish to be dead, Age and shock could have had a very big role in it.

T
Thuggin4Life
thats to bad it wasn't caught by a kid but those fish are on there last legs when the get stocked. So if you guys all think that should be counted as a record then who has a big pool they aren't using so we can get us some state record fish? i will supplie the species, help raise them and then we take them to a small public body of water and catch them and get us some records. we could do smallies, large mouth, bluegill, crappie, and more. better yet we could go to cali get an oregon record bass. transplant it than catch it in oregon for the win after starving it. And not to argue but I will keep hatchery pellet heads for my aunt sometimes and cean them for her and I see eggs in them and many holdovers i have caught have had eggs. From what i read about tripliods they don't waste the time or energy reproducing which is why the get big so quick so why would they have eggs in them.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
thuggin, a triploid is a sterile fish therefor they do not reproduce nor try to do so. As the information ive relayed on triploids has stated. there is 3 chromosomes in triploids that render them sterile how ever NORMAL trout have 2 chromosomes, which allows them to be reproductive. I dont know for sure if they have sperm sacks or produce eggs as well.. if so they are dead.