Thread for coastal wild coho....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I thought this might be useful, many of the coastal rivers have been open since the 15th, Alsea and 3 lakes open Oct1, this thread lets us hear from people catching wild coho and other info on the coho season...so, who is tagging coho?

Reactions: mikeredding
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the first ODFW update, for Sept15-16:

Nehalem: 20, Siletz: 2, Siuslaw: 57, Umpqua: 13. no catch in the other rivers.

Note: I am usually impressed with ODFW, but if 57 wild coho were caught over the weekend in the Siuslaw, I will eat a bug. Maybe 57 Kings have been caught in the Siuslaw this year!, so far this river is full of boats trolling all over and catching almost nothing..day after day after day....

jamisonace
jamisonace
rogerdodger said:

Note: I am usually impressed with ODFW, but if 57 wild coho were caught over the weekend in the Siuslaw, I will eat a bug. Maybe 57 Kings have been caught in the Siuslaw this year!, so far this river is full of boats trolling all over and catching almost nothing..day after day after day....

My friend has caught 74 chinook in that river so far. I'll bet they are picking wild coho up at the mouth.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I guess I should also mention my coho exploits since it is the point of this thread. 5 wilds last weekend on the ocean.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
I guess I should also mention my coho exploits since it is the point of this thread. 5 wilds last weekend on the ocean.

maybe that is the problem with the ODFW count, maybe 57 coho were caught in the ocean last weekend but someone hit the wrong button and they got posted as river fish, that would make sense....and I think your friend might be slightly over his annual limit unless he is into C&R King fishing....:D

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
My friend has caught 74 chinook in that river so far. I'll bet they are picking wild coho up at the mouth.

74 is no lie If we are talking about the same dude.
Which i imagine we are.

B
bran_man
I had quite the Coho experience today with rippin fish lips. sorry though, I'm going to post an individual thread about it soon.

jamisonace
jamisonace
rippin fish lips said:
74 is no lie If we are talking about the same dude.
Which i imagine we are.

Nick "fishin" franks is the guide. That is a boat total, not an individual total....33 days of fishing I believe.

M
mikeredding
I have put 12 in my boat but they were all in the ocean.

M
mikeredding
rogerdodger said:

I think you are probably right Roger. I talked to the ODFW checker on the dock at 6:30pm on Saturday and she said only 1 coho had come in out of the river and 27 from the ocean. There has to be some bad info.

S
steelhead1
My bud and I drifted the Siletz,probably 20-25 times last year during the fall salmon run. didn't get checked by ODFW one time. How accurate can their counts be? I am sure they have some formula for fish that didn't get counted,but IMO,they are just guessing.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Their counts aren't accurate but more of an estimation. We pulled 5 silvers out of Pacific City last week and I'm sure there were a lot of other fish too and the checker wasn't even on the beach when we beached our dory at the same time as most of the other fisherman. I think they get an idea of how many fish are being caught by each boat and then estimate the boats on the water. I've heard some numbers by about boat numbers and fish/boat that led me to that conclusion.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
Their counts aren't accurate but more of an estimation. We pulled 5 silvers out of Pacific City last week and I'm sure there were a lot of other fish too and the checker wasn't even on the beach when we beached our dory at the same time as most of the other fisherman. I think they get an idea of how many fish are being caught by each boat and then estimate the boats on the water. I've heard some numbers by about boat numbers and fish/boat that led me to that conclusion.

sorry to say but I screwed up and then hijacked this thread right after starting it.

First, it was to be for wild coho fishing/catch just in the coastal rivers and lakes that are just opening, I called it "Thread for Coastal Wild Coho" based on what ODFW calls this limited season: "2012 Coastal Coho Salmon Sport Regulations", I was not expecting this to include ocean fish because they are covered under "2012 Oregon Ocean Sport Salmon Seasons". Understandable people would include ocean under the term "Coastal", my bad for not being clear....I think it would be better to have seperate threads for ocean and rivers/lakes....

Then I made the mistake of mentioning the goofy number posted for the first 2 days of wild coho for the Siuslaw and we took a left turn into the subject of estimating total fish catch based on collecting a limited amount of actual data...that opens a whole can of worms and opinions and that was not my intention, I hijacked the thread, my bad again.

could we just close this thread and start over? :confused:

I
idahojeff
Everybody see that 404 Cohos were recorded caught on the Slaw last week! 60s on the Nehalem, Coos and Umpqua. Crazy the Slaw hit 27 % quota in a week.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
idahojeff said:
Everybody see that 404 Cohos were recorded caught on the Slaw last week! 60s on the Nehalem, Coos and Umpqua. Crazy the Slaw hit 27 % quota in a week.

it seems goofy based on what we have seen on the river and heard around the old town launch, at least on the weekdays....maybe they are racking them up, 1 per day per person, down in the jaws...

B
bran_man
Ok kinda a silly question that I think I already know the answer to , but just want to check with you guys to just make sure. ok so on Umpqua, seasonal limit is 2 total as is the same for siuslaw this year. now the question is: can I tag 2 from both locations? Making it a total of 4 wild Coho tagged? Or is it as soon as I have 2 tagged total, I'm done? Just wanted to make sure cause I already have my 2 wilds tagged from the umpqua, just don't want to be done yet! Ha ha thanks .

R
rum runner
im pretty sure its once you get 2 your done but i might be wrong.... and i wish i was part of that number i was down on the slaw till 2 this afternoon got down there at 6 and only seen 2 or 3 jump and didn't see any hook ups i was fishing the rocks across from the dump there were probably 20-30 others out there coming and going all day and they all had the same thing nothing from below or above but who knows. wish i had some one who knew how to get it done or i had a boat to get out on but there is still time and im more into fishing the upper river not tide water lol

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bran_man said:
Ok kinda a silly question that I think I already know the answer to , but just want to check with you guys to just make sure. ok so on Umpqua, seasonal limit is 2 total as is the same for siuslaw this year. now the question is: can I tag 2 from both locations? Making it a total of 4 wild Coho tagged? Or is it as soon as I have 2 tagged total, I'm done? Just wanted to make sure cause I already have my 2 wilds tagged from the umpqua, just don't want to be done yet! Ha ha thanks .

my feeling is there are no silly questions when it comes to these regulations, they have so many layers that just when you think you have them figured out, something you missed pops up...

in this case, you only get 2 total 'in aggregate' from the 6 mid-coast rivers: Siuslaw, Nehalem, Yaquina, Siletz, Alsea, Umpqua. so you are done in these rivers.

to get to the 5 seasonal total, you can catch some in the lakes that open Oct.1, or catch some in the rivers to the north or south...

we assumed with the higher quotas and 2 fish limit that we would have no problem tagging our 2 each here in the Siuslaw, so we better get some soon or we might end up driving to the Alsea or down to the Umpqua if the Siuslaw closes early (last year with much lower fish quota (900?) and 5 fish limit, it didn't close until Oct. 10). I sent ODFW an e-mail today just to see if they have any idea the reason for the high Siuslaw coho count so far, it just seems totally out of line with the other rivers and with last years numbers...

B
bran_man
Thanks guys .... that's what I was afraid of :( I really wanted to fish the slaw this year for them. I know hatchery hos are not very common out there (at least from what I've seen) guess ill just keep at it and hope to get lucky. thanks Roger and runner for the input as I'm sure you guys are right. :/

T
Toyota2000
Fished the Winchester bay osprey point and there was 35 caught yesterday 25 in the morning and 10 in the evening only two fin clipped :(