This years "go to" plug

jamisonace
jamisonace
Every few years I end up with a plug that out fishes everything else. It seems that plug fishing is a dying art but I love it and I will always do it. There are few things more satisfying than watching the rod bury using a back trolled Kwik Fish. This was a new plug this year. I probably started fishing it in late August. Since then it has hooked at least 90% of my back trolled fish. One morning it hooked 4 chinook before daylight and I ripped off one of the barbs on the back treble trying to get it out of a fishes mouth. Instead of changing out the hook I decided to see how it would fish with just two barbs and it kept catching fish. I'm guessing since August this plug has hooked at least 25 chinook. On my trip to Sixes last week we hooked 7 fish on plugs and I think this one hooked all but one or two. It also got hung up twice and almost lost but I spent a long time getting it back.

I'm half tempted to retire it just because it looks so good and I would be devastated if I lost it.

• 20221115_093224.jpg
  • 20221115_093249.jpg
Reactions: troutdude
REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
jamisonace said:
Every few years I end up with a plug that out fishes everything else. It seems that plug fishing is a dying art but I love it and I will always do it. There are few things more satisfying than watching the rod bury using a back trolled Kwik Fish. This was a new plug this year. I probably started fishing it in late August. Since then it has hooked at least 90% of my back trolled fish. One morning it hooked 4 chinook before daylight and I ripped off one of the barbs on the back treble trying to get it out of a fishes mouth. Instead of changing out the hook I decided to see how it would fish with just two barbs and it kept catching fish. I'm guessing since August this plug has hooked at least 25 chinook. On my trip to Sixes last week we hooked 7 fish on plugs and I think this one hooked all but one or two. It also got hung up twice and almost lost but I spent a long time getting it back.

I'm half tempted to retire it just because it looks so good and I would be devastated if I lost it.
I love those, I have a few K-16's that look like that and catch fish.

Casting Call
Casting Call
K-14's,K15's, and 16's hang from my rafters only use them at windy bend on the Siletz. Lots of stretchy thread and green herring. Tony

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Started fishing there in 2002, largest to date is 37 lbs. on a sardine wrapped K-16. I have also used these successfully on the Willamette.