They're heeeere!!.........

J
jimmy
all the way up to the dam.

with the water temp hovering around 54 degrees (from thermometer at the launch) I'm not surprised.

smnfly1_zps8yivgclt.jpg

stnfly1_zpsmhrb0vrk.jpg

stnfly2_zps5rclyotp.jpg

D
DrTheopolis
Care to elaborate?

J
jimmy
those are salmonflys and stoneflys..

as for the water, D , that you should know.

D
DrTheopolis
OK, I get it. All the way up to the dam, you say?

Cool. A couple of weeks ago, it was pretty sparse. Now with both you and Tanner's reports, things are looking up.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Headed that way Thursday going to spend a few days up past the dam at Lake Simtustus. Better make sure I have plenty of big dries. Stone fly time is crazy. Thanks for the info Jimmy.

jamisonace
jamisonace
If a guy were going to be working in Bend and could be done around 1pm next Tuesday, where is a good place to go fish this hatch?

O
OnTheDrop
Hit me up Jamie.....^

Irishrover
Irishrover
jamisonace said:
If a guy were going to be working in Bend and could be done around 1pm next Tuesday, where is a good place to go fish this hatch?

Mecca Flats. It has about 7 and a half miles of river bank to fish. If you are west bound on Hwy 26 turn onto the dirt road just before the bridge that crosses the Deschutes at Warm Springs. Head north about 1.5 miles to Mecca flats. Last time I was there it was a rough road. There are three roads off that turn. One goes to the trailer court,one is a private drive and the other is the right road(the last one). The "stimulator" is a good pattern. My favorite is a "sofa pillow" nice big bugs. Good luck.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
jamisonace said:

feel free to contact me and I can send to to a good spot if tanner hasn't yet.

K
kingdoj1
They're above Lake Billy too.....and lots of them. Fish are a little smaller but quite feisty. I've had several 20+ fish days on Crooked River Ranch. Some taking nymphs, some salmon
flies

D
DirectDrive
Nice.
For those that ever wanted to dabble in dry fly fishing for trout......NOW is the time.
Do not wait....go.

Strong casting not necessary.....many fish will be near the bank hunting for these flying porterhouse steaks.

S
sapo
the d has been on fire, and with the stoneflies out it should only get better..

O
Orerockon
sapo said:
the d has been on fire, and with the stoneflies out it should only get better..
I'm getting back into river flyfishing after a many year hiatus. I have a tribal guide friend on the Deschutes at Warm Springs, he told me there are salmonflies but no dry fly action yet. I believe he checks the access points from the reservation. Would they be hitting topwater flies there this weekend? I'm not too fond of the competition at Mecca Flats on the weekends but I've never been down the trail from the campground. Does that sound like a good idea? I'm afraid that they will be pounding that stretch as well. Has anyone ever fished down from Dry Creek on the res side? I know you need a permit but I know nothing about the campground. There is no info on the WS tribal permit page about it. I have a 27' trailer and I'm not going to drag it all the way down there to find I can't use it there. The only places I have fished salmonflies are Trout Creek and South Junction, both with very limited success. I'm more of a tuber these days, my wife has had bad foot issues for years, so we can't trudge miles and bomb down cliffs like I used to in the glory days LOL. I'm not asking for your secrets, just a place where we can walk a bit and get away from the knucklehead crowds. If anyone wants to guide us I'll try to be wherever I go tomorrow night and fish Sunday. I can trade flies or homemade hard cider :)

S
sapo
Dude, get down to Maupin, it's red hot right now. I'd join you if I could, but travel is limited for me this weekend (I'm just gonna explore a little river tomorrow). The stonefly dry fly fishing should be picking up this weekend, but nymphs are probably gonna be the top pick. Experiment, find what works, and good luck!

O
Orerockon
sapo said:
Dude, get down to Maupin, it's red hot right now. I'd join you if I could, but travel is limited for me this weekend (I'm just gonna explore a little river tomorrow). The stonefly dry fly fishing should be picking up this weekend, but nymphs are probably gonna be the top pick. Experiment, find what works, and good luck!

Would you go upstream or downstream? Is the gate still locked? Someone on another forum said around Nena was hot, but I think that's quite a hike up isn't it?

M
Modest_Man
Anywhere within 10 miles of Maupin has bugs. You can drive to Nena. Looks like lots of people read that same report, as that was the busiest area I saw.

B
bigsteel
just go explore,there is no one hot area

O
Orerockon
bigsteel said:
just go explore,there is no one hot area
Is anybody willing to help us out tomorrow? We have only fished near Mack's and don't really know the water all that well. My wife is kinda limited to close to the road and not bombing down cliffs due to ankle problems. I can trade some flies or homemade hard cider or mead! We'll be leaving early evening and will be at the Maupin City RV park. I'm not sure if I can post contact info here but I'll be checking through at least late afternoon.

M
Modest_Man
Not trying to be mean but the Deschutes is one of the hardest rivers to get down to the water on that I have ever fished. There are probably over 100 pullouts within 10 miles of Maupin, they all have good water. They are almost all moderately difficult to get down to the water. The bugs and fish are everywhere. The harder the water is to access, the better the fishing tends to be.

S
steelhead_slayer
My advice then is to go to mecca campground and fish your way down river. There is a long trail with decent access and fish around