They're heeeere!!.........

S
steelhead_slayer
Oops I didn't see that you were in maupin. I would go fish around north junction. The trail is long and stays close to the river. Head south and it is the last turn out as you are leaving maupon

B
bigsteel
steelhead_slayer said:
My advice then is to go to mecca campground and fish your way down river. There is a long trail with decent access and fish around

we should fish soon

S
steelhead_slayer
B
bigsteel
steelhead_slayer said:
That sounds great to me!

send me apm when your available

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just got back from Lake Simtustus. I did not see a single salmon fly in the area. The boat ramp at Warm Spring was a very active place. But from the lack of bugs I'd say they are not this far up yet. (Lake Simtustus is the water of the Deschutes held behind Pelton Dam up to Round Butte Dam).

R
Rockitout
Spent the weekend fishing between Maupin and the falls, just lights out fishing. Mornings/early afternoon were spent throwing a heavy stone flies with a tiny dropper in the fastest water i could fine. Afternoons to sun set i switched out to the to the big bug, chubby Cherbnobl, size big, produced the most fish. Didn't seem to matter where the cast was, I found fish under trees, next to the bank, in fast riffles, and at big drop offs. The fish are out and they are hungry There was a big bug explosion Saturday evening near the grain elevator in Maupin, simply awesome to see.

Surprising there was not a lot of pressure on the river, never had to wait for a favorite spot. First time I've caught so many big fish in the same weekend, i am happy with any thing 16'' and larger in a weekend, but pulling out 16'' or larger every few hours is my idea of a perfect weekend. Sorry for the poor fish pick, wife didn't come and i can cover a lot more water by myself. Need to work on my fish selfie i guess. Hopefully the fish are still look up next weekend, but i am guessing the explosion will be around Pelton next weekend.

IMG_1296.jpgIMG_1316.jpg

O
Orerockon
steelhead_slayer said:
My advice then is to go to mecca campground and fish your way down river. There is a long trail with decent access and fish around

Well we were at Maupin yesterday and it was a really dead day but nice weather, 72 and sunny until noon when the wind hit and was screaming down the canyon above Maupin. My wife caught one at 6AM nymphing and no strikes at 6 or 7 pullouts until we quit at 5. All jungle fishing with nymphs, I saw one rise at Pine Tree launch on a yellow sally. Seems like the bugs were heavier closer to Macks but the crowds were from Neena to 197, and I saw maybe 20 rigs patrolling, a lot less than I had thought would be out. I wonder if the guys fishing out in the open were doing any better (I doubt it)? On the way back most of the pullouts were empty. Didn't talk to anyone who had caught a fish. Very few stones, almost all goldens. I shook branches here and there and saw maybe 10 salmonflies. People also said it had been hot earlier in the week. My guide buddy said the hammered the fish on the res side below Warm Springs. Does it normally fade out or go upstream that fast? Is the action basically over at Maupin?