The sport fisherman is getting the shaft on the Columbia

D
DuckWorth
Hello
I was fishing last friday at on the Columbia , I put the boat in at the Fishery and found my spot to ancher .
There were no fish on the finder and no one catching anything, the reason was the damn comercial gill netters put in that morning at O dark therty , 9 boats from the damn to the I-5 bridge .
the week before tthere was a 100 foot boat cleaning the dead heads and logs for the gill netters, who payed for that big boat to do that ? not them it was us the sport fishermen and the tax payers in my book thats bull !!!!!!!
now this year thay are allowed to take 2000 sturgeon , so that friday they took steelhead , nooks, and everything else in the darn river and striped it clean.
I feel as a sport fisherman I am getting the shaft , they make our season smaller every year and give more to the netters, not letting the public know when they are going in , how long so we waist gas towing the boat, waist gas running the boat and they paying for the boat launch.
I hope I am not the only one that feels this is wrong.

Ok I have had my Rant you all take it from there .
Happy fishing and stay safe .

B
beaverfan
Maybe you should send some emails to your state reps and ODFW, gillnets have been brought up many times most of us don't like them but nothing will change until people get OFF there butts and let they're reps and ODFW know how you feel.

D
DuckWorth
I have sent letters and so forth but the sport fisherman need to group up as one and a lot of people like you say Beaverfan dont want to bother with it or spend any of there time to try and fix the problem guess they think if they dont think about it it will go away .
Thank you for the link Bobbidoll I will go to it asap , we need more fisherman to voice there worries and thoughts about this gill netting and spending of our tag and license money for things other then helping the fishery .
thanks fro not booting me after my little rant just had to say what I did and thanks for the replies .
Happy Fishing and the best of luck .

S
shutup&fish
I agree!!!! I don’t want to get into it too much because I’ll just start making myself look bad ha. But I agree an action needs to take place. I’m a college student at OSU and love to fish way more then sit around in class ha. But the issue of gill netters really gets me down. And when you start talking about all the time and money wasted on a trip like yours I think me and a lot of other people know just what you’re talking about. I don’t know, your “rant” as you call it got to me. And I want to start doing some looking around and see what has to be done to get this changed. Because I know if someone finally steps up and does whatever needs to happen be it getting signatures or what not the anglers will fallow!!! So with all that said I think we need to go wreck some fish out on the Columbia!!! So hit me up!!!