The Shad are coming!!!

Y
Yuriy
Shad are finally starting to make it to the Bonnevile dam. Official count is 5 but that number exponentially grows every day. Can't wait to pull a few in. (Or a few hundred :D)

brandon4455
brandon4455
yup sure are, saw atleast 5 -10of the little suckers get airborn below willamette falls while sturgeon and salmon fishing.

Y
Yuriy
Now I have proof too. Even better. I know where im going this Saturday :D

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
Yuriy said:
Now I have proof too. Even better. I know where im going this Saturday :D

anchor up right below the falls next the those paper mill things in any calm water you can find. fish oN!!!

Y
Yuriy
Too bad i dont have a boat, but that's not a problem, we are talking Shad here, cast and Bingo!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah my uncle says they catch a butt ,load of shad at the falls and then take some shad and cast them for sturgeon in the same spot :lol: sure you will do fine from the ban. seems liek theres already a decent amount of them swimming around. uncle said jigs should kill em'

Y
Yuriy
Hahaha That is a brilliant idea, if i fished for sturgeon I would be doing that. Ive heard you can use an empty hook and still catch them.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Yuriy said:
Hahaha That is a brilliant idea, if i fished for sturgeon I would be doing that. Ive heard you can use an empty hook and still catch them.

sturgeon or shad? i think the same thing applies for kokanee. you can jig a shiny red hook and they eat it 0_0

Y
Yuriy
The Shad, they go for anything shiny. Kinda dumb, but Im not complaining. :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
Yuriy said:
The Shad, they go for anything shiny. Kinda dumb, but Im not complaining. :D

yeah,i heard they will eat jigs,spoons,spinners,bait anything pretty much. but i heard they are good eats ad i know they are good bait! the easier to catch the better! :D

Y
Yuriy
Ill be keeping all the ones I catch, no limit on those suckers. I think..

brandon4455
brandon4455
Yuriy said:
Ill be keeping all the ones I catch, no limit on those suckers. I think..

i dont think there is either. might want to check the regs first just incase lol good luck out there!

Y
Yuriy
Yeah I will. Thank you, and same to you.

F
fphowell
Which launch ramp do you use when Shad fishing?

N
NavyBTret
There is no limit on shad. They are pretty boney, so if you don't want to mess with the bones just can them. And yes they are really good eating. Best method I have found for fishing for them is a jig with a single large splitshot. Small yellow or chatreuse jigs or a jighead with a small plastic grub(yellow with glitter is good).

Y
Yuriy
They are pretty good. I went above the dam and didn't catch any. Too early for that I guess.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Smoke!!! Smoke!!

S
sirsnagalot
Nice, to hear I was just thinking of Shad earlier today. I'm not big on combat fishing so is there anywhere else to catch shad aside from the park in Oregon city and Bonneville?

brandon4455
brandon4455
you could use the dock below the falls, but im sure that would be packed too... pretty much everywhere on the bank will be packed.

T
Troutier Bassier
Wait about a month and fish at bonneville... :)