The Flying Lure~amazing or worse lure ever?

T
the_intimidator03
well id have to say ive used banjo minnows with no success... i just need to find a new set to try out again :-D i know they will work... and as far as being suprised probably my biggest and most recent suprise was having a smallmouth bass slam a 1/6th oz orange rooster tail at dorena... fat 17 1/2 inch smallie :-D

J
JAYDEE
So we were loaded for bear, I look over at him and say "use what you feel most confident with". So he begins to load up a bottom rig with a mini marshmallow and a chunk of night crawler. Well I smiled inside knowing full well that wasn't going to work. But he picked it so far be it from me to say anything. Well he cast his presentation out into one of the channels along this tree line...I know what your thinking....it is true. His bait never even touched the bottom and he had the largest Rainbow Trout I had ever seen leaping straight up in the air four or five times before we could land the fish
I am confused why you were suprised he caught a big rainbow on a mini mello and a worm troutski. Were you fishing for bass? Is that why you were suprised? Because i have caught several big trout on the mini mello and half a worm. It has been a very productive set up for me in the past when still fishing.

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
LMAO,

I bought some of those "back in the day" and I've never caught anything with them.

I think i threw them away a couple years ago. Crap lure!

G
gumboat2
flying fish do they work or not

flying fish do they work or not

I have been using the flying fish lure for some time now. I do not like the hook set up that comes with the skirts. Like most bass fisherman we either tweak or change the set up anyway. I am an avid crappie fisherman hence my name fish4crappie. I use the small bodies on a 1/32 or 1/16 jig head. Run the hook through the end of the body, twist body 180 and runj hook through body again. Slide the body up to the jig head. You may have to put a drop of super glue to hold the body on. I slam the heck out of the big slabs. I also have caught plenty of large mouth bass as well when fishing for crappie. I only have used the small 2 inch bodies. My favorite body is the one that has a solid top half and the tail has many strands for a tail. I suggest using the flying lure bodies as an addition for the tail of your favorite lure. Just single hood the top of the flying lure body as a trailer on other lures. Example would be like using a hair raiser and removing the rubber worm tail and replacing the tail with the flying lure body. You have the idea good luck for I have had plenty of success. P.S. Forget about the idea of the add for flying lure that states using their hooks to have the lure and hook set up reversed from what is normal in other lures.

C
Chaser
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have to comment with a UK perspective to this odd lure.

My father in law must have channel hopped a fair bit back then and had picked a box of these up, as when I met his daughter I was a fairly avid Pike angler and had heard of these lures priorly, from a single USA segment of an episode of 'Screaming Reels' (an old fishing show hosted by Nick Fisher on Channel 4, when we only had 4 channels :shock:) in which Alex Langer got a brief spot regarding these and 'AquaSonix' or some other madcat invention. Thus they were like the Holy Grail amongst his old gear to me (yes, his wife had curbed his fishing to the extent his gear was a give away, a pattern emerges). lol

I naturally gave them a whirl and though I have yet to land anything on them, they would frequently trigger strikes from Pike in canals and lakes that I fished when all else was failing. Slam one into a total snag pit that no other lure will reach, or under stagings etc and I have watched Pike slam into them savagely!

The trouble was I have never connected on the strike, as though the standard untweaked set up somehow flips the lure straight out the mouth without a hook up. Very annoying.

I've had a 5 year break from fishing due to a burgeoning family but am getting the kids into it now, so I shall dust that box of flying lures off and give them the persistant trial (plus modifications suggested by other successful guys above :clap:) that they perhaps deserve!

I'll let you know but dont hold yer breath....:naughty:

Now what about that 'Aqua Sonix' system endorsed at the time by Rick Clunn if memory serves? Was that a total wash out too, or is there some guy outhere in headphones thats secretly emptying your local waters? LMAO :rolleyes:

Happy New Year & Tight Lines to all from across the pond

Rufus

p.s To date its probably a dozen or so takes and dropped Pike from a lure I have used on as few occasions, so perhaps he was onto something :think:

B
BlackBass
:) Go buy two sets of the banjo minnows and you will forget all about the flying lure.:D

J
justNorthofya
I think we have all been had one time or another...myself especially

I could own a tackle shop with all the BS gear I've thrown out.

The best I know is to find a system that you are comfortable with and stick with it...I should heed my own advise

T
thepreditor
Man thats a flashback.. I was probly 12 or 13 and i wanted the flying lure so bad. I asked my parents for them and everything else I could think of to try to get a set. It sure is a bummer I never got that set because I could have some good story how they didn't work and I bought some pile of junk. I still want to try them, I mean come on its a flying lure, it flyes how could you go wrong... Damn infomertials.....

H
halibuthitman
I,d put a treble hook on those badboys...... and those british pike would die! ( place Dr. evil laugh here )

W
wormosa
my friend has the flying lure as well and this past summer he tried then at hagg lake and he caught nothing as well with them.... i think he still has them, personally i would have never bought them....and he is still keeping them....

:dance: junk :dance:

M
mybluebelly
The fluid lure

The fluid lure

**** you assholes. I just spent one hour writing a review of the flying lure, and the whole thing disappeared when i was automatically logged out! **** this ****, MR MODERATOR.:mad:

T
the_intimidator03
:naughty:looks like somebody has a case of the computer blues....... want a cookie:lol:

T
TTFishon
mybluebelly said:
**** you assholes. I just spent one hour writing a review of the flying lure, and the whole thing disappeared when i was automatically logged out! **** this ****, MR MODERATOR.:mad:

Why would you be automatically logged out? I've never been automatically logged out before.

B
beaverfan
Nope me neither and I don't know why he would be so disrespectful to the moderators as if they had anything to do with it? THIS IS BY FAR THE ALL TIME BEST "FIRST POST"!!!!!:confused::naughty::rolleyes:

M
Moe
mybluebelly said:

Just LOL!:lol::lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
mybluebelly said:

Perhaps you maxed out your hourly asterisk allowance?

H
haftafish
My wife bought the flying lure for me years ago. It took me a while to figure out how to use it but once i learned how you use it to meet my fishing conditions it worked great. Mainly on largemouth and stripers. The problem i had with it is you just can't replace the items you loose. The only fish that it has worked for consistently is bass pickerel pike and stripers.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
Moe
Welcome to the Forum!

G
GDBrown
F L Y I N G Lure

F L Y I N G Lure

Moe said:
Welcome to the Forum!

That being said......

You guys just don't understand! You have all missed the point.

It is a Fly lure and is intended to be used with a Fly Rod.:D:lol::cool:

:rolleyes:I'll take all I can get, send them my way with $10 and a self addresses stamped envelope for the receipt.
:shock:

GD

I love this place!!!!

Reactions: OnTheFly