Targetting trout on the bug wand

B
bigboy70
As most fisherpersons, I have set some goals for myself. One of these goals number 2 on the list, is to catch a trout on my fly rod.
Fly Fishing as always caught my eye such a beautiful art in itself and instead of waiting for someone to offer up help or hitting the water with me. This is a journey I want to embark solo, but as being new to this artful way of slaying fish I would like to get some advice. One member has offered up some and I thank you.

As I was given a fly rod, a fly book and a few flies from a garage sale also a gift. I don't have any idea if these flies work because some I don't know what some are. I know you need to match the hatch this is important. I also know there are those versatile flies that you can fish year round.
I'm trying to prepare my fly box with decent flies that will hopefully catch me fish.

I have gone online and look at flies and read articles but I want to hear or see lol first hand what my fellow OFFers use.

So the question is what are your favorite flies (flies to me = nymphs, dry flies, and streamers)
I will target lakes first to get the hang of this art then move to the rivers and creeks. (again targeting trout Rainbows, Brooks, and Browns)

If your going to be negative or rude save it! If you want to be a smart arse go for it.(yes I went there):popcorn:

This is an very important to me any advice is greatly appreciated, Just trying to fill my box with flies that will put me on the right track.

Thanks to the people who have helped me and to the people that will.
:hi:

-Ethan

H
halibuthitman
When i first started fishing the black ant, renegade and stimulater accounted for most of my fish.. Theres 3 for ya ethan-

B
bigboy70
Thanks brad appreciate it

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
A few observations.

1.) "matching the hatch" can be a fun challenge, but is almost never necessary to catch fish. If you want to fish nymphs, wet flies, or minnow imitations while some tiny mayflies are buzzing around - do it. You'll still catch fish, and might even wind up with bigger fish than those that are splashing and eating the winged bugs. Match the hatch if you want, but don't feel this is the only way to catch a trout.

2.) drag free drifts, like matching the hatch, are not always necessary or even wanted. Frail, weak bugs dead drift in the current. Eggs from other fish bounce along with the current. But there are some bugs and other protien sources that struggle against the flow. While a mayfly is at the mercy of the current, and best fished on a drag free drift - caddis flies will skitter about on the surface and the nymph (pupae) of the caddis will crawl across the stream bottom. You don't have to get a drag free drift with a caddis, and you can actually take fish by skating or skittering the fly on the surface.

3.) wet fly swings with bright attractor patterns or natural appearing flies will catch fish - and like steelhead fishing, the tug is the drug. Even a small trout will give a good yank on a tight line swung wet fly. Simple to fish this method, and it can be highly productive.

4.) woolly buggers will catch anything that breaths water, and has fins.

If you'd like a few suggested patterns to get, these are what I like to stock in my box:

Nymphs:
Bead head prince (with a gold bead)
Rubber leg prince nymph
Pheasant Tail (bead head and standard) in original brown, plus olive and black colors
Bead head hare's ear - natural, olive, and black
Copper john in copper, red, green, and black
Ugly Bug in black, olive, and brown

Wet Flies
Royal coachman
Leadwing coachman
Partridge & orange, partridge & yellow, partridge & red, and partridge & green (these are soft hackles, same pattern, different color, super simple but super effective)
Adams wet
Hare's ear wet
Pheasant Tail soft hackle
Black gnat wet
Woolly worm (assorted colors)

Streamers
Woolly buggers - assorted colors - cone head, bead head, or plain head, weighted & unweighted. These are fish crack.
Blue Boy (old school pattern for sea run cutts and steelhead - effective on most fish)
Bunny bugger, olive, black, brown, and red
Craft fur leech
Clouser minnow (chartruese over white, blue over white, red over white, red over yellow, chartreuse over yellow, etc)
Lefty's deceiver
Marabou streamer
Muddler Minnow, and the Marabou Muddler (a variation on the original)

Dry Flies
Adams - size 10 to 20
Tan Adams
Royal Wulff - sizes 10 to 18
Parachute blue wing olive - size 16-20
March brown
Humpy - original Yellow, plus lime green, royal (black & red), and purple
Elk Hair Caddis, with green, yellow, or orange body color
Goddard Caddis in natural and black colors
Joe's Hopper sizes 6-10
Dave's Hopper sizes 6-10

Other
Foam spider - black, white, green, or red bodies
Foam ant - similar to the spider, but instead of rubber legs it has a wound hackle. These can be fished wet or dry.
Foam yellow jacket - fish it dry or wet

You don't need 200 fly patterns to fish effectively, confidence in what you have tied on, coupled with good presentation is more important most of the time than the fly at the end of the leader. Starting off in still waters (lakes & ponds) - you'll be wanting to add action to your flies, and you'll do best by fishing sub surface flies (streamers, nymphs and wet flies) most of the time. You might want to pick up an intermediate sinking line for lake fishing.

Leeches and chironomid patterns are killer in still waters, as are tiny shrimp (scud) patterns. You can fish these on the intermediate line, or you can fish them on a tight line with a floating line, or you can fish these under a strike indicator (bobber.) It's all fun.

Welcome to fly flinging.

Reactions: FishFinger, waco and Raincatcher
O
OnTheDrop
^^ Heck of a response..

Tie a wooly bugger on and go hit some lakes.... and see that rod bend to the cork!

I caught my first ever as a kid with a size 12 Adams fly. One of the most versatile dry flies in my opinion.

Stick with it... It's addicting once things start to click.

Good luck,

T
TimberTodd
GungasUncle covered it pretty well. You might take your fly box into your local fly shop and talk to them. Royal treatment is in your neighborhood. I would practice your cast as much as possible too before getting on the water. That can cut down on possible frustrations allowing you to enjoy the day more.

B
bigboy70
Holy crap! Thank you GungasUncle and steelmon.
TT That is the one thing I have done lol been practice casting a bit need to pick it up more as season is coming.
As getting to the fly shop.has been a challenge I work there hours lol I'm trying though.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!

jamisonace
jamisonace
March browns are right around the corner. Find a good bank spot and use a dry or an emerger. Hit the river around 2pm.
When they are hatching you will see where the fish are laying.

B
bigboy70
Question? chironomids = midges? There 3 stages.

N
n8r1
Over the summer, go to any coastal river open to trout fishing and throw an orange stimulator out there. Dead drift down river followed by a series of short strips back. You will catch cutts like no tomorrow.

B
bigboy70
looks like the lake will be target looks like wolly buggers some lake leeches and chrominod patterns any other suggestions for lakes?

L
Leon Fish
Those are great to use, you might also add a couple damsel and dragonfly nymph patterns, which can be stripped similar to the buggers /baitfish and leech patterns. Know that Stillwater tactics are different than stream tactics. topwater fishing for largemouths on the bugwand can be a hoot.

B
bigboy70
when you say baitfish patterns have any examples?

L
Leon Fish
All those steamers gungasuncle mentioned are good examples. the buggers/streamers/baitfish can all kinda fall into the same space being nonspecific imitative patterns... generally speaking. And with all the bs in my fly box, the buggers are really the go to fly. Its true, they're like fish crack. I like the beadhead crystal buggers .

There are more specific imitations, like minnows and stuff. If its got something that looks like an eyeball -and word has it the bigger the eyes the better it'll work- its probably more specifically designed to imitate a baitfish of some sort.

here's a good link w pics... http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/streamers-home.htm

And amidst the ton of books, theres one by hal Janssen called Stillwater flyfishing secrets that has some great info and fly recipes if you want to obsess about some stuff.

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
Ok thanks I was wonder that makes sense probably was over thinking it lol

L
Leon Fish
Cool. Glad that made sense, its easy to over think and over do it on selection. theres just soo many dang flies out there that all look so similar.
I too was once told that the best fly to fish is the one you felt most confident in.

Im always down for some lake action if you're ever in need of a fishing buddy for the day.

B
bigboy70
Well after I get my first one solo would live to go out with an experience fly fishermen

L
Leon Fish
Sounds good. I just got into still water flyfishing a few seasons ago, so its still a bit new to me compared to the amount of time Ive put in on the streams and rivers. I must say it was pretty frustrating at first getting skunked each time, but then I spent a few days on a lake with some guys from my old fly club and they gave me some pointers that really turned things in my favor... Like counting down the sinking lines, slow retrieves and leader theories. fishing chronomids is something I'm still working on. Definitely looking forward to this season.