Switch setup

brandon4455
brandon4455
looking into purchasing a switch rod to swing for summers and nymph for winters with, something in the 7-8wt range i prefer 8 (need the backbone for wild winters) problem is i know switch rods and the lines you use with them can be spendy.. anyone have a recommendation on a good rod/reel/line setup that wont burn a hole in my wallet, i plan on purchasing a lot of fishing gear next spring before i get my own apartment that way i dont have to worry about spending a butt load of money on fishing stuff while trying to pay bills. i dont plan on spending over $275 maybe even less depends on my job status at the time i guess.

Thanks in advance for any help

S
Spydeyrch
So are you planning on $275 on just the rod or the whole setup (Rod, reel, backing, line, etc)? If it is just the rod, here are the offerings from Echo:

If you want a switch, why not just go with a full double handed rod? Hence the ECHO SOLO TWO-HAND - $230

ECHO SR - $330

ECHO3 SWITCH - $525 I know that this one is out of your price range but at least it will give you an idea of what is out there and prices. :D

Echo ION REEL - $100

Hope that helps. :)

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would like that to be the price for the whole setup, but not sure if it's very realistic. thanks for the links!!!

F
freeflyin
Switch Set Up

Switch Set Up

brandon4455 said:
looking into purchasing a switch rod to swing for summers and nymph for winters with, something in the 7-8wt range i prefer 8 (need the backbone for wild winters) problem is i know switch rods and the lines you use with them can be spendy.. anyone have a recommendation on a good rod/reel/line setup that wont burn a hole in my wallet, i plan on purchasing a lot of fishing gear next spring before i get my own apartment that way i dont have to worry about spending a butt load of money on fishing stuff while trying to pay bills. i dont plan on spending over $275 maybe even less depends on my job status at the time i guess.

Thanks in advance for any help

If I were you I would definitely look on craig's list or something. $275 is not going to get you what you want retail. I personally have a Redington CPX 11'3 7wt. and that thing is an absolute beast. I love it and have had the priviledge of landing many steelies on it. I nymph for steelies and it throws a heavy indicator set up a mile. When you are looking at switch rods keep in mind that you will be buying a line wt or two higher for it. I run a 9wt. WF floating line on my 7wt. And the action of my 7wt is more like a single hand fast 8wt or even 9wt. I have a buddy selling his CPX 8wt in your price range if you are interested. PM if you want to know his info. Anyhow, good luck and there is my 2 cents for what it's worth (probably only 1 cent).

V
Van
I have been looking into the same kind of set up Brandon. However, i really havent found anything in the price range you are looking at. I just kinda figured i would get the Echo switch with an Ion reel when the time came.

N
ninja2010
angler's roost carries a line of decent rods that might fit your budget. here's a 12 footer 7/8wt... it's the closest thing i could find that fits your specs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spey-Rod-1-...747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae600a9a3

they also have decent spey sized reels for a good price. if you're planning on running a shooting head and running line, plan for about $70 just for that. you should be able to pick up the rod and reel for under $200.

B
Bkerbs
I have been looking into switch rods for awhile now and I would think your best bet for under $300 is cabelas or on line. Most switch set ups I have found are in the $500 range, for rod, reel and line. Cabelas had a switch rod, in the Lacey store, on sale for $175. Good luck in your search.

J
john montana
I would go over budget and buy the echo sr. I have one in a 7 and it is a great rod. Go to river city and don will hook you up with a package deal on a line and one of his large arbor reels (can't remember the brand, but it is basically an Allen reel stamped with a different name...fish field maybe?). I bought a 9 wt standard wt forward floating line because I had the same plan as you...mostly nynmphing and the (very) occasional swing for summers.

V
Van
That is it John. It is their "house brand" at River City.

J
john montana
The fish field reels look an awful lot like the Allen reels...both are imported. Could be the same manufacturer stamping different names on the reels. I have one of each.

V
veilside180sx
john montana said:
The fish field reels look an awful lot like the Allen reels...both are imported. Could be the same manufacturer stamping different names on the reels. I have one of each.

I have a Fish Field as well, but have yet to put a line on it. I know Allen was using them, but not sure if they still are as a supplier.