Swimbait/big bait anglers?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Hey folks.

Just wondering if there are any swimbait anglers in the house? I am a pretty dedicated big-baiter myself, and even build the things. I am new to the area, and I would not mind getting acquainted with some of the local big-bass crowd.

Pics are, in order, a PVC wake/crank that is about eight inches, the first bass I got on it, a custom PVC alewife I did for a buddy, some of my softbaits, and a good Denver area public water fish over six I got on those. I can't pour in our new place, as I am in an apartment now, but I am looking into having the baits made by someone else. Hopefully it goes well, I am running low. :sad:

Anyway, maybe there are others out here into making/fishing big baits? :popcorn:

SS

• IMGP5312.jpg
  • IMGP5288.jpg
  • DSCN2122.jpg
  • DSCN2206.jpg
  • IMGP5785.jpg
bass
bass
I bought a swim bait on sale this spring at FM but I have not tried it yet. It looks like a rainbow trout so I think it should work at Hagg. I need to put on some heavier line before I cast it out for the first time. So I am not a big bait fisherman yet, but I hope to be at some point.

B
Big3d
I just got a 9" rainbow trout storm swimbait I'm excited to try along the banks of Hagg myself!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Big3d said:
I just got a 9" rainbow trout storm swimbait I'm excited to try along the banks of Hagg myself!

The little 4.75" Storm Wild-Eye is actually surprisingly good. The colors are beyond horrid, they look cartoonish, but they tend to track true, you can fish them on a regular heavy rod, and they are dirt cheap. I fed a lot of those to pike.

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I love to throw the river 2 sea s wavers. I have a couple of other hand poured swim baits that I like too.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
168's?

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
It depends, I prefer the 200 when hunting largemouth but I've primarily been using the 168's when targeting smallmouth

Last edited:
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I'll have to give them a shake. I have gotten to where I mostly just use the baits I build. I still like Huddlestons, and I L-O-V-E the Mattlures Hardgills, but I prefer my own baits at this point. You can't improve if you don't keep at it.

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
that is a great looking jointed swimbait, You made that? Do you paint your own?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Thanks! Yes, I made that (and the soft baits), and I paint them, though my current situation (apartment) makes chemical processes problematic. I paint with enamels, not lacquers, so it is not totally un-doable, but it is less than ideal. Both my wife and I are sensitive to chemical odors.

I have made turned wooden baits for years, and the PVC was the next thing I started working on. It is the same stuff that they use as trim-board for residential construction, basically a PVC foam. You can find it trademarked as "Azek" among other things. It has a faux woodgrain skin that has to be removed, but the under layer is just a light density closed cell foam that tools easily and floats like a cork. Wonderful stuff to build with.

Man, I miss my shop. :/

SS

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
that is excellent, I have my air brush set up. I have been painting lures for a couple of years too. I just haven't gotten into making the hard baits yet. would you be interested in a trade? I'll paint some swim baits for you in exchange for a couple of those 8" baits. Take a look at the pics, see if there are any that you like. here are a few of my favorites that I paint. let me know if you are interested.

IMG_6348.JPGIMG_6349.JPGyellow perch.JPGIMG_6357.JPGIMG_6346.JPGIMG_6352.JPG

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Ha! Great! Yep, sounds like a plan. We just got a contract on the house in Colorado, so hopefully in a year or so we can get a house and I can resume my bait building.

I have a bunch of baits more or less ready to be assembled, I can absolutely get a couple ready to paint. You baits look nice.

Glad there are a few crazy people out there.

Cheers!

SS