Surf perch at Hug Point

S
Snagglehook
I arrived at Hug Point on Saturday and due to a gauntlet of delays, I didn't arrive until 5:30, which meant I had less than 2 hours before dark to try my hand at this thing I've been itching to do all summer. I'm so glad I didn't call it off.

Got my waders on, tied up my tackle, and was in the water just before six. The first five or so casts were just me figuring out how to toss a 3oz rig. After just 10 minutes in the water, I got my first fish on!

I was standing in front of the big rock across from Adair Point and tossing first to the left, then the right of the rock. It was much more productive working northwards to the right of the rock. I even got a double! Took home 7 little guys in all, released and lost just about as many. Not bad at all for about an hour and a half in the water!

I was considering omitting this last part for my pride's sake, but I figure I'm in good company. So as the sun was setting, I kept telling myself, "ok, this is my last cast of the night," yet finding every excuse to throw one more. My casts were getting sloppy and I was getting impatient, which was making me sloppy, etc. Mistaking a lack of form for a lack of force, I gave this one a bit too much oomph and paid dearly. Well, ok, it was technically just $1.09 but the point was, that 3oz weight snapped the 12# mono dropper loop and I swear I heard it say, "yo, THIS is your last cast of the night!" and cackle like a maniac as it arced gracefully into the ocean. I couldn't argue with that.

I had a blast despite the humbling conclusion, and a big thanks to all the OFFers posting their surf fishing reports, especially PK and his videos.

• First Surf Perch.jpg
  • Hug Point Haul.jpg
Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Good for getting out there and trying it!...plus success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
sapo
Awesome!

C
coyo7e
LOL damnit, these fish are my new unicorn. Dunno if I'm in the wrong place ro the wrong tide or wrong bait, but dangit I swear I am doing everything right and after an hour pitching the troughs from the sands I lose my cool, drink a 12 ozer, and then get bored in another 30-45 minutes.

One day I will find a school of perch, why else did I buy this bigass jar of berkley sandworms? (well, to be fair, it's the best way to store most of my salt berkley baits, since the packaging is so $hitty.)

bass
bass
Nice job Snagglehook. The only time I tried to fish for surf perch this year was the day after the monster storm that hit at the end of August. The day before there were gusts up around 60mph and the ocean was pretty massive. It was still breezy the ocean was still rough the day after when I fished. All I caught was one sculpin for about an hour of fishing- and I felt pretty fortunate to have done that in those conditions.

S
Snagglehook
Rather than the usual fishing debriefing report about opportunities you missed out on, here's one about ideal conditions this weekend to pursue!

Weather forecast this weekend for Cannon Beach is sunny and clear both days:

- Saturday: High 70°; wind 8-12 mph; Tide: Low @ 12:16PM, High @ 4:57PM
- Sunday: High 76°; wind 4-8 mph; Tide: Low @ 1:26PM, High @ 6:01PM

Just 1 hour and 40 minutes from Portland, these are the makings for an easy, no-rush day trip to the coast. Get there by noon and you can fish the incoming tide until the sun goes down.

About 5 miles south of Cannon Beach, Hug Point is my favorite spot for direct access to the beach. Parking is fairly plentiful at the creatively named Beach Access Road, with bathroom facilities available (but no running water, so plan accordingly to deal with the sand and salt afterwards). Once on the beach, there are a few points that jut out creating a chain of small coves. If you wander past these points, make sure you get back in time or you may find yourself stranded at high tide. If I'm able to triumph over my time bandits this weekend, you may see me there.

S
Snagglehook
Made it out on Sunday and got nice haul.

10-04-15 Haul.jpg

This is the biggest one I got:

itsababywheel.jpg

Also caught and released 2 little 6" flatfish, and a 5" staghorn sculpin.

B
BaldTexan
Nice haul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
billfisher
Good eats!

T
troutmasta
Snagglehook said:
I swear I heard it say, "yo, THIS is your last cast of the night!" and cackle like a maniac as it arced gracefully into the ocean.

That sounds about like the "Okay its TIME!" that I am familiar with, as I lace my spinner into a log.

Nice feeshes