Sturgeon update?

W
WillAndSky
So I was wondering if anyone knew of an area thats allowing sturgeon to be taken, I checked the ODFW website and didn't see anything listed for Clackamas but I didn't know if sturgeon fishing was allowed on that river, sorry usually do my sturgeon fishing in WA but wanting to keep it closer to home now and wanted to take a family fishing trip on christmas while the rest got dinner ready haha so any help is greatly appreciated.

H
HereFishy
My buddy just called me in hopes of planning a sturgeon trip to the Columbia. He told me that it's from January 1st to the 19th, above Bonneville. I'll have to do some fact checking before I'm certain. But that's what I've heard.

W
WillAndSky
HereFishy said:
My buddy just called me in hopes of planning a sturgeon trip to the Columbia. He told me that it's from January 1st to the 19th, above Bonneville. I'll have to do some fact checking before I'm certain. But that's what I've heard.

I appreciate the info!!! Well looks like we won't be fishing for sturgeon on Christmas and might just settle for winter steel-head then ill have to go solo up to Bonneville and check out the scene, can't wait to get my new gear in the water lol its like cash burning holes in my pockets lol.

E
eugene1
Catch and keep sturgeon fishing is allowed upstream of Willamette falls all year. Not sure how productive it is, but check the regs.

Why not just go out and C&R the dinos with the family and have a fun day below the falls?

Best,

H
HereFishy
eugene1 said:
Catch and keep sturgeon fishing is allowed upstream of Willamette falls all year. Not sure how productive it is, but check the regs.

Why not just go out and C&R the dinos with the family and have a fun day below the falls?

Best,

There's someone on this forum, I think his name is PTownAngler or something like that. From the sound of things he KILLS the sturgeon in West Linn. Right where the Willy and the Tualitin meet. I want to say that he posted that he caught a 10 foot oversized from the bank not long ago.

E
eugene1
There's another guy here, "bass" that slays them below the falls, but said it's tough up above. The other thing about keeping the Willy fish up above the falls is they are probably more contaminated with mercury?

Best,

HereFishy said:
There's someone on this forum, I think his name is PTownAngler or something like that. From the sound of things he KILLS the sturgeon in West Linn. Right where the Willy and the Tualitin meet. I want to say that he posted that he caught a 10 foot oversized from the bank not long ago.

H
HereFishy
I would imagine that the mercury levels couldn't be TOO much higher at West Linn Park vs. below the falls. It couldn't be more than 1 river mile. Still, better to err on the side of caution I suppose. Is there some sort of way to test how much mercury is in any given fish? I know you can test the levels in the water. But is there some sort of toothpick type tester? Or maybe a swab for the actual meat that you're about to ingest?

E
eugene1
Not sure about home tests for Hg. The fish below the falls can migrate out to the ocean and wherever they want though, the ones upriver are kind of trapped there.

Best,

H
HereFishy
That's a good point. I hadn't considered that.

p.s. If the home test kit doesn't exist, no one steal my idea. I already copywrited it. Triple stamped it. Anti-quitsies. No tagbacks.

bass
bass
eugene1 said:
There's another guy here, "bass" that slays them below the falls, but said it's tough up above. The other thing about keeping the Willy fish up above the falls is they are probably more contaminated with mercury?

Best,

I deeply resent your comments. As far as I know I have never slain a sturgeon :)

I am the leading advocate of HEAR (you heard it here first) : Hook Exercise And Release.

Man, I had too much wine tonight.

If you want info above the falls I am the worst person to ask. Talk to troutmasta. BTW, I still owe him and moe a trip.

E
eugene1
Sorry, bass!

I meant it in only the the best C&R way! I can see how words can get twisted though!

Best,

bass said:
I deeply resent your comments. As far as I know I have never slain a sturgeon :)

I am the leading advocate of HEAR (you heard it here first) : Hook Exercise And Release.

Man, I had too much wine tonight.

If you want info above the falls I am the worst person to ask. Talk to troutmasta. BTW, I still owe him and moe a trip.

H
HereFishy
Since the subject of sturgeon was brought up and I never got around to posting a report. Long story short. October 19th was a good day to be on the Willy.

• 20131019_080248.jpg
  • 20131019_082707.jpg
  • 20131019_082809.jpg
  • 20131019_135232.jpg
  • 20131019_145051.jpg
bass
bass
eugene1 said:
Sorry, bass!

I meant it in only the the best C&R way! I can see how words can get twisted though!

Best,

Dude, I was just funnin' with you.

bass
bass
HereFishy said:
Since the subject of sturgeon was brought up and I never got around to posting a report. Long story short. October 19th was a good day to be on the Willy.

Great job!

Although I have to laugh at the fish advisory in the background of your picture. That is why I have never kept a sturgeon.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
HereFishy said:
From the sound of things he KILLS the sturgeon in West Linn. Right where the Willy and the Tualitin meet.

I'm hesitant to speak for anybody, but I believe he (and I'm too lazy to search for the poster's name) fishes the (fairly) new dock in West Linn, which is maybe a half mile-ish below the falls. Tualatin mouth is above the falls. Fish tend to migrate up to the falls, then swim back down, from what I understand (I'm far from a sturgeon expert, but the Lower Willy has it's dynamic for migrating fish).

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
DrTheopolis said:
I'm hesitant to speak for anybody, but I believe he (and I'm too lazy to search for the poster's name) fishes the (fairly) new dock in West Linn, which is maybe a half mile-ish below the falls. Tualatin mouth is above the falls. Fish tend to migrate up to the falls, then swim back down, from what I understand (I'm far from a sturgeon expert, but the Lower Willy has it's dynamic for migrating fish).

Pretty sure you are correct.

C
catchallthefish
Sorry im late to the party but when bass said "I deeply resent your comments. As far as I know I have never slain a sturgeon " i busted up laughing every one in my house made fun of me laughing so hard at this

C
catchallthefish
HereFishy said:

very very nice indeed!

R
Rockitout
It's been a few months since i was last out, but right under the OR City Bridge, East side of the river, in line with a small outfall, there is a nice hole hole.

Landing a few 5-7' fish out of kayak, tons of fun getting pulled up river

H
HereFishy
DrTheopolis said:

I didn't know of a new dock in West Linn. I grew up there and moved to Montana when I was 15 (16 years ago). I haven't been back since. The only park I was aware of is Wllamette Park on 12th st. To me, it sounded like that's where he was fishing.