Sturgeon in the Sandy River

K
kidcantclimb
can u keep sturgeon in the sandy river

S
steelie_killa
do they even go into the sandy?? I've always thought there might b in there, and ive also heard of a oversize sturgeon dead on the banks at dodge park.

K
kidcantclimb
my uncle cought a 48 inch white sturgeon on night crowler 2 weeks ago out of the sandy, so i was woundering what the regs are ,if there is any about sturgeon in the sandy

C
colt
Your best bet would be to check the ODFW website and look in regards to your area you're going to. I have USUALLY found that if a fish isn't allowed to be kept in a certain area or there is a specific limit, they will specify and make note of that. If I get to it before you do, I'll repost the link and give the description in a new reply here.

B
Backtrolling
colt said:
Your best bet would be to check the ODFW website and look in regards to your area you're going to. I have USUALLY found that if a fish isn't allowed to be kept in a certain area or there is a specific limit, they will specify and make note of that. If I get to it before you do, I'll repost the link and give the description in a new reply here.

I disagree with this statement and believe the opposite is true. A lot of the small cricks in the NW coast range get returns of wild winter Steelhead. They are not listed anywhere in the Regulations so that means it is Closed to fishing.

To answer your question directly Sturgeon Cannot be retained in the Sandy River.

Reactions: JTLunker
T
the_intimidator03
Backtrolling said:
I disagree with this statement and believe the opposite is true. A lot of the small cricks in the NW coast range get returns of wild winter Steelhead. They are not listed anywhere in the Regulations so that means it is Closed to fishing.

To answer your question directly Sturgeon Cannot be retained in the Sandy River.

So in regards to salmon/steelhead... each section begins with general zone regulations that STATE salmon and steelhead are closed in all waters unless noted in special regulations, so yes it is LISTED.

As for Sturgeon the general regulations do not list any closures except for green sturgeon. There is notes to check for regulation changes throughout the year. I would get in contact with OSP Fish and Game division and/or ODFW to see what they say about the Sandy River. Some places do not have a quota for sturgeon. Such as the willamette river above the Falls.

C
colt
Backtrolling said:

Gotta love all the loopholes one can run into and get into trouble for not fully understanding the regulations if one has a hard time keeping up with the regulation handbook year after year.

C
chrisohm
I agree with the_intimidator. Check with ODFW or an OSP and do not rely on the opinions of forum members when you have questions about the regs. Go to the source! It mihgt be news to them about sturgeon in the Sandy and that might be news they need to hear.

Reactions: colt
K
kidcantclimb
i agree with chrisohm

B
Backtrolling
You'll probably get 5 different answers from 5 different people at ODFW.

C
chrisohm
Backtrolling said:
You'll probably get 5 different answers from 5 different people at ODFW.

You'll get 500 different answers from this forum but at least you can get a valid response from ODFW. They do set the regs and laws we all have to fish by. Just get in touch with a game warden that works the Sandy River area. They know better than anyone else what is legal in that fishery. If that doesn't work and you are doubting the idea, land it, get a picture and send it away.

bass
bass
Sturgeon are managed under Special Regulations for the Columbia and the Willamette zones (not sure which would cover the Sandy, I assume Willamette zone). Thus, I think that contacting ODFW is your only option. My guess is that it would be closed, but that is a guess.

T
the_intimidator03
Who's opinion counts? the man who writes the law or the man who interprets and writes the tickets? OSP first choice!

Reactions: colt
T
Thomas101
I was out on the Sandy River today and I caught a Sturgeon that was about 35lbs, about 2 hours later downstream I caught another one that was about 12lbs.
I was on a tour with Dave Maroon and believe it or not the whopper was my first fish!

E
eugene1
Cool!

If it wasn't April 1, an old thread revived, two sturg caught, or from a brand new user, I could believe it.

At any rate, Best to you Thomas,

Thomas101 said:
I was out on the Sandy River today and I caught a Sturgeon that was about 35lbs, about 2 hours later downstream I caught another one that was about 12lbs.
I was on a tour with Dave Maroon and believe it or not the whopper was my first fish!

T
Thomas101
eugene1 said:
Cool!

If it wasn't April 1, an old thread revived, two sturg caught, or from a brand new user, I could believe it.

At any rate, Best to you Thomas,

And today is April 1st - oh the cruelty!

Lucky I have a photo of the first one! You can check with Dave Maroon, my Father-in-Law and I were out on the Sandy with him today, two Scottish guys and the newb (I) caught two Sturgeon! My Father-in-Law caught a wild Steelhead about 12lbs. The camera phone even ran out of battery but thankfully we managed to get this photo. No word of a lie! Had a great day.

sandysturgeon.JPG

Right I'm never going fishing on April 1st again!

Thanks for the welcome!

bass
bass
Be careful on how you are fishing. The Sandy is closed to all sturgeon fishing including C&R from Jan 1- Apr 30 and December 1-31 according to the 2014 regulations.

Sandy River (Multnomah/Clack. Co.):
1. Mainstem and tributaries upstream
to ODFW markers at the mouth of
Salmon River
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead all year.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon Feb. 1-Oct. 31.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped coho salmon all year.
• Closed to all sturgeon angling including catch and release effective Jan. 1-April 30 and
December 1-31.
• Closed within 200 feet of Chinook salmon spawning areas located in Oxbow Park
where posted by ODFW markers Sept. 16-Nov. 15.
• No angling from a floating device upstream from a point that is 200 feet below the
Oxbow Park boat ramp.
• Use of bait allowed.