Sturgeon health advisory

Raincatcher
Raincatcher

Oregon Health Authority

We're issuing recommendations on the amount of sturgeon from the lower Columbia and lower Willamette rivers that people should eat: ow.ly/C2oy50Igpma
Fish tissue data from Oregon DEQ show polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) at levels of concern in these river zones.
PCBs in sturgeon from the lower Willamette River are much higher than PCBs in sturgeon from the lower Columbia River. This makes the calculated meal recommendations for the lower Willamette more restrictive than those calculated for the lower Columbia.
A meal is about the size and thickness of your or your childā€™s hand or one ounce of uncooked fish for every 20 pounds of body weight.
Meal recommendations for sturgeon in the lower Columbia river: 7 meals per month for pregnant people, nursing mothers, children, and people 65 and older. 8 meals per month for men and women beyond childbearing age.
For sturgeon in the lower Willamette River, the meal recommendation is 1 meal per month.
As future data becomes available for sturgeon from the lower Columbia and lower Willamette rivers, OHA will evaluate and update the advisory meal allowances as needed.
When fishing in the lower Columbia River, lower Willamette River and Multnomah Channel, we advise fishers to visit healthoregon.org/fishadv for a list of other areas and water bodies with existing fish advisories and recommended meal allowances.
1646994177189.png
1646994190995.png

Reactions: Casting Call
REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Can I get a little Sturgeon with my PCB's please?

• Haha
Reactions: nikita_pdx, Raincatcher and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
REELY HOOKED said:
Can I get a little Sturgeon with my PCB's please?
lol šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜„ Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
Thanks R....c

Reactions: Raincatcher
Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks for the post, RC. Not too crazy about fish from the lower Willy. I knew a fellow that worked on the super fund sites. He had some interesting stories about that section of the river.

https://willamette-riverkeeper.org/superfund/

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
I didn't read anywhere that there has been anything cleaned up yet. 21 years of talking about it doesn't get it cleaned up.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"I didn't read anywhere that there has been anything cleaned up yet. 21 years of talking about it doesn't get it cleaned up."

Exactly, lots of studies, lots of talk, no action.

Casting Call
Casting Call
transient fish! Bottom feeder's= PCB's, lead, asbestos, gold and heavy metals. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
REELY HOOKED said:
I didn't read anywhere that there has been anything cleaned up yet. 21 years of talking about it doesn't get it cleaned up.
Show me the money honey! Tony