Sturgeon around Portland

J
juggernaut506
I've never fished for sturgeon on the Willamette around Portland. Where would be a good place to start if I launched by St. John's Bridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BlackTalon
St. John's sturgeon

St. John's sturgeon

Go down river about 1/4 mile. Known as the Toyota Hole, you will see on the East side where they unload the Toyotas coming into Portland. Depth is around 80-100'.

I usually don't fish the hole much but a lot of people do. I prefer to fish away from the crowds just in case I do something stupid:D. Really though, find a depth and current you want to fish and do it. I have caught keepers where I have never seen another boat fishing. Easier to fish (keep boat straight) with an outgoing tide and the scent disperses better to attract fish. I use squid mostly because I have had good action with it consistently. Good luck and good fishing.

Evan

J
juggernaut506
Is 100' of anchor rope with an anchor buddy enough for most areas around there?

S
SNDSLGR
No, its not enough imo. 300' is the standard and for me 200' would be a minimum though I wouldnt try and anchor in the Columbia with only 200 I dont think. Its not like anchoring in a lake where the anchor is straight below the boat. The more current, the farther away from your anchor you will want to be.

The deepest part of the Toyota hole is 85' so double that for a minimum anchor rope length and that is only for good conditions. Up higher, between Sellwood and OC falls there are a few 120' holes.

J
juggernaut506
Looks like I have to go buy some more rope and splice them together tomorrow.

S
STURGEON FEAR
also a good hole just above the r&r bridge

J
juggernaut506
I still have yet to catch a keeper. Other then on accident while fishing for something else in an area that was closed to retention.

H
halibuthitman
juggernaut506 said:
I still have yet to catch a keeper. Other then on accident while fishing for something else in an area that was closed to retention.

if you are looking for a keeper I would stay out of those 75' + holes, there are keepers in them, but they are essentialy nurserys and some of those little fellers have been caught dozens of times... the stress is hard on any fish. I would look for transition areas that hit in the 50,s on the sides of those deep holes this time of year... you may catch only one fish all day, but the odds of it being a keeper are substantialy higher

B
beaverfan
halibuthitman said:
if you are looking for a keeper I would stay out of those 75' + holes, there are keepers in them, but they are essentialy nurserys and some of those little fellers have been caught dozens of times... the stress is hard on any fish. I would look for transition areas that hit in the 50,s on the sides of those deep holes this time of year... you may catch only one fish all day, but the odds of it being a keeper are substantialy higher

Now that is some dang good info!

J
juggernaut506
Sounds like a plan. I have all day to try different areas. My dad and my buddy are going to be fishing with me so between three poles I hope we can get at least one keeper in the boat. Up in my area of the river I usually use hearing and squid that I've left to soak in vinegar for a week or two. Also when I take the boat out there this time of the year I'm too busy shooting ducks and geese to even think about dropping a line.