Stupid question needing smart answer

B
Big3d
Can one of you fine folks tell me how to half hitch a sardine? I only know how to tie with a free end which i suppose you don't have in this case, I watched videos but it just looks like a twist when they breeze through it and that stategy proved bad when I tried a few weeks back. I usually use squid with miracle string, I would like to try sardines effectively. Thanks for answering this undoubtedly ridiculous question!

T
Toyracer38
I'm up for the challenge. Okay first I use Tuff Line for Sturgeon leader. It has more surface area compared to mono and is soft which makes half hitching a breeze.

Okay, say you have the bait hooked and holding it in your left hand, bait's head facing left. Take the leader with your right hand, with your palm facing up. Now close your right hand and turn it so your palm is facing down. You just created a loop. Slide that loop over the bait's tail and down towards the head, say an inch or two from the eye of the hook. Now pull the leader so that loop snugs up. Then just repeat the process as needed.

Also you might try using the squid body, remove the head and stuff the body with, sardine, smelt, roll mop herring or even sand shrimp. Works great! Hope this helped.

Reactions: troutmasta and Big3d
B
Big3d
Yeah that helps a lot, thanks a bunch. I guess i was over thinking the whole process! I love the baiting idea.

I
igquick
What I did to learn how to half hitch is by watching the youtube videos on how to half hitch. They do it extremely fast and you may have to pause the video several times. What I did to practice is get my remote controller from the TV and start half hitching it with 20 lb test line! My gf was like wtf are you doing to all our TV remote controllers, but then she looked at it and thought it was ppuuuurrrteeee

B
Big3d
Ha, Remote dressed like a sardine! Excellent

I
igquick
right lol.

You can tell if you are doing it right if you could swing the remote controller around without the hitch comming off, in which the swinging just makes the line tighter; and the hitches should look symmetrical in a way.

B
Big3d
I actually did that last night, cast it across the living room and reeled it back a few times, thanks for the tips!

T
troutmasta
Toyracer38 said:
I'm up for the challenge. Okay first I use Tuff Line for Sturgeon leader. It has more surface area compared to mono and is soft which makes half hitching a breeze.

Okay, say you have the bait hooked and holding it in your left hand, bait's head facing left. Take the leader with your right hand, with your palm facing up. Now close your right hand and turn it so your palm is facing down. You just created a loop. Slide that loop over the bait's tail and down towards the head, say an inch or two from the eye of the hook. Now pull the leader so that loop snugs up. Then just repeat the process as needed.

Also you might try using the squid body, remove the head and stuff the body with, sardine, smelt, roll mop herring or even sand shrimp. Works great! Hope this helped.
Great description.

I
igquick
Big3d said:
I actually did that last night, cast it across the living room and reeled it back a few times, thanks for the tips!

No way hah, be careful dont break your tv!

B
Big3d
I was smart enough to cast the other way! About to go try out my half hitchin' for real on the water! I bet remotes are the go to bait out there! I'll report later today.

T
Troutier Bassier

really hope this helps.

Reactions: Big3d
I
igquick