Steelhead: summers vs winters

O
OneMore
My Vote; Both!
Summers!
Summer are worth a great exciting fight!
Summers may have wings?
Weathers nice and days are long.
low water forces you to use light lines, again good fight!
Better biters?
BEER and Bikinis!!!

Winters
First off winters are good fighters just fight different than a summer!
Most of the time winters are bigger!
Not as many people and more water to fish! thats a big one!
Theres a great sence of pleasure from beating the ods and walking out with a fish!
I think they taste better. (I know call me crazy)
Your wife doesn't want to come along due to crap weather!!!
Not as many people

With all that said I love both! I vote like metal head BOTH!

W
waco
:think: :think: winters or summers??? :think: :think:

:think: :think: winters or summers??? :think: :think:

winter clackamas steelie.jpgIMG_1500.jpg summer Maybe both!!!!;);)

Last edited:
Reactions: skunk
H
Halfthrive
I tend to fish for winters more than summers only because I'm targeting chinook. I tend to catch bigger winters than summers and I get more boat limits on winters, but I can't deny that the better fights come with summers.
Check out this monster summer caught at the pressure hole by my buddy on the Mckenzie. 42".

9af64ab8b447.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
holy crap.. thats a nice summer fish! its got a cool yellow tint to it.

F
First Bite
Definetly summer steelhead. Nothing beats sight fishing for steelhead in shorts and a t-shirt.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Its an albino:shock:

Nice fish!

Reactions: skunk
U
Umpqua
Why Choose? They both rock!

Reactions: halibuthitman
H
halibuthitman
P
plumb2fish
Why Choose? They both rock!

B
Bucknasty
Its easier to say the cycle then to say what i like better.. its a vicious circle and i have been riding it for years now, watch out it will suck you in too .... Winter Steel until Summer Steel until Fall chinook and coho then back to winter steel.. Springers fit in there somewhere but i usually get more stoked for late run winters or early summers and less pressure on the river! No matter what your fishing for we generally have it pretty good here in the Pacific North West! For me to say i like one over the other is a total lie because i am STOKED on life the day im fishing for whatever! Cheers, Bob :cool:

Reactions: todd_brooks
T
todd_brooks
Bucknasty said:
Its easier to say the cycle then to say what i like better.. its a vicious circle and i have been riding it for years now, watch out it will suck you in too .... Winter Steel until Summer Steel until Fall chinook and coho then back to winter steel.. Springers fit in there somewhere but i usually get more stoked for late run winters or early summers and less pressure on the river! No matter what your fishing for we generally have it pretty good here in the Pacific North West! For me to say i like one over the other is a total lie because i am STOKED on life the day im fishing for whatever! Cheers, Bob :cool:

Very well put. My excitement goes from one species right into the next. My better half just rolls her eyes. But she at least she knows the score now. It never ends.

M
Mad dog
I like steelhead fishing.....period!!! Summer runs, more acrobatic, better eating, sight fishing clear low water....what's not to like about that? Winter fish are mostly bigger, more numerous and predictable, what's not to like about that?

Winter run.
002-2.jpg
Summer run.
06salmon086.jpg

Y
youngbuck307
todd_brooks said:
Very well put. My excitement goes from one species right into the next. My better half just rolls her eyes. But she at least she knows the score now. It never ends.

Right with u on that one Todd