Steelhead on the Siletz River

J
jesse202505
Hello everyone I am new to this site, as i just found it and registered seems like a great place to find and share information.
I want to take my gf steelhead fishing this weekend on the siletz but dont know where to go. were staying in lincoln city from what i see its pretty close to the mouth of Siletz river. Any one know of any good holes or areas we can try out ? I know of moonshine park but thats a little far from the beach. keep in mind we will be bank fishing. can we fish in the bay? or is it better further up river? any information is much appreciated. hoping to help my gf land her first steelhead!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Welcome to the forum. I grew up in the town of Siletz and there's a lot of great spots all along the river but the best ones in my opinion are up the gorge which is moonshine park and above. There are a few spots in the town of Siletz you could try too

H
hydropsyche
There is definitely fish up there around moonshine but be prepared to hunt these fish in full stealth mode this time of year. They are catchable but use your lightest presentations possible I.E. small black spinners, nymphs and the single egg or two, micro jigs and a small bobber would probably be my first choice. You could also try and fish for Chinook from the bank around the jaws it could get reel exciting with all the seals around. Surf perch and cutthroat are other options.

J
jesse202505
SiletzTroutKiller said:
Welcome to the forum. I grew up in the town of Siletz and there's a lot of great spots all along the river but the best ones in my opinion are up the gorge which is moonshine park and above. There are a few spots in the town of Siletz you could try too

Thanks for the reply. I think I might try moonshine park, is the water shallow around there ? And am I gonna run into a lot of fishermen around this time? Thanks again

J
jesse202505
hydropsyche said:
There is definitely fish up there around moonshine but be prepared to hunt these fish in full stealth mode this time of year. They are catchable but use your lightest presentations possible I.E. small black spinners, nymphs and the single egg or two, micro jigs and a small bobber would probably be my first choice. You could also try and fish for Chinook from the bank around the jaws it could get reel exciting with all the seals around. Surf perch and cutthroat are other options.

Why do you recommend micro jigs over regular size? I fish eagle creek often for winter steelhead and stealth is a must so thanks for the heads up. And what do you mean by the jaw ? I would like to try for Chinook as well I hear they get pretty big out there. Thanks for your reply much appreciated

troutdude
troutdude
HP's suggestions, are spot on. This time of year, the water level is VERY low. Couple that with sunshine, and the fish are easily spooked by large OFFerings. Microjigs are small, which is what is needed--so you don't spook the fish before you can get a bite.

The "Jaws" of the river, if I'm not mistaken, are the jetties at the entrance to the bay. The nooks are beginning to trickle in; and begin staging for their run up river when the rains hit and temps cool.

Good luck.

J
jesse202505
troutdude said:
HP's suggestions, are spot on. This time of year, the water level is VERY low. Couple that with sunshine, and the fish are easily spooked by large OFFerings. Microjigs are small, which is what is needed--so you don't spook the fish before you can get a bite.

The "Jaws" of the river, if I'm not mistaken, are the jetties at the entrance to the bay. The nooks are beginning to trickle in; and begin staging for their run up river when the rains hit and temps cool.

Good luck.

If I fish the jaws should I be careful with the tide? Or should I be okay. And what kind of lure would I use for Chinook. Out here we use roe or kwikifish. But I hear its diff out there thanks

H
hydropsyche
The jaws or the mouth of the siletz is just where the outlet of the river is to the ocean there is no jetties so its all beach. Just park by the Mo's walk down and there will probably be someone fishing usually for perch, but i hear back in the day people used to fish there for salmon. I have never tried it my self, so i don't have many suggestions maybe mooching herring under a float. You could also follow the road up to coyote rock boat launch walk in to the tackle shop and see whats up with the fishing.

Reactions: Raincatcher
H
Hmf
Just got back from the Siletz. Was cloudy and drizzling. Fished what holes I could from Moonshine park up to the first bridge. Tried a float and jig, but I don't think I know how to really use that set up right. Ended up sticking to a small black spinner and caught a nice little brown trout, but that was it. The other 2 I brought along with me didn't catch anything, and no one else I talked to caught anything.

H
hydropsyche
I don't think there is any browns up there just cutts steelies and salmon.

H
Hmf
Oh my bad! I guess it was a cutthroat haha. Had to double check. Thanks for setting me straight.

troutdude
troutdude
hydropsyche said:
I don't think there is any browns up there just cutts steelies and salmon.

Correct. No browns in the Siletz.

J
jesse202505
thanks I'll try that. Is mo's a restaurant?

J
jesse202505
How deep was the water around moonshine park?

F
FishNinja
The depth varies from a few inches to 15ft. Most of the water above moonshine is wadeable. There are some spots you'd have to hike around though.

J
jesse202505
FishNinja said:
The depth varies from a few inches to 15ft. Most of the water above moonshine is wadeable. There are some spots you'd have to hike around though.
thanks for the info:clap:

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I wish there were browns in the Siletz!