Steelhead fly suggestions

W
wozniasm
Does anybody have any fly recommendations for steelhead?
Patterns and sizes?
Have my switch/spey setup and wanting to grab a few flies to use with it.

Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
Wish I could help. I always get my steel accidentally on trout flies. Good luck!

W
wozniasm
Thanks! Have little experience for steel but want to get into some...

T
Trout-tacular!
This is the core of my Deschutes selection: Mack's Canyon, Freight train, Street Walker, Green Butt Skunk, Prism in sizes 4 and 6.

Sorry, its the only river I go to for steelhead; it keeps things simple for me.

T
timberman
Hello there.
I'm sure everyone has their favorite flies, and I'm no exception. If I had to pick only one, it would be a #6 Silver Hilton.

B
bran_man
I'm sorry but I don't fly fish so I don't really know what I'm talking about too much, but I have a couple friends that have success using like black, purple or pink leeches?

W
wozniasm
Thanks for all the suggestin folks!
It's interesting on the variety everyone uses...

F
flyguy202011
I can tie yah some steelhead flies! for a lot cheaper that what you would buy them for!

Reactions: wozniasm
R
rum runner
my little bro got a few over the years on a purple or black egg sucking leach

W
wozniasm
flyguy202011 said:
I can tie yah some steelhead flies! for a lot cheaper that what you would buy them for!

Is before Friday do-able? If so, I work in Beaverton and could maybe connect after work.....

F
flyguy202011
yah way easy! where yah going?

E
eugene1
woz, I don't flyfish but sometimes my buddy takes me out in his boat for summer runs in Eug so I have to, LOL. Black or purple MOLE leaches I think they are called, kind of a leech looking thing with a small hook. Used with a sink tip to get it down in the strike zone. The steelies love them. If you are targeting winters, I don't know.

Best,

W
wozniasm
Thanks E1!

C
ChezJfrey
eugene1 said:
woz, I don't flyfish but sometimes my buddy takes me out in his boat for summer runs in Eug so I have to, LOL. Black or purple MOLE leaches I think they are called, kind of a leech looking thing with a small hook. Used with a sink tip to get it down in the strike zone. The steelies love them. If you are targeting winters, I don't know.

Best,

My first and only steelhead caught on a fly rod just 2 weeks ago was with a purple moal leech.

J
joesnuffy
If you want to fish under an indicator, a Prince Nymph works well.

W
wozniasm
joesnuffy said:
If you want to fish under an indicator, a Prince Nymph works well.

I'll take note of that. thanks!

A
agentorange
It definitely depends on whether you are nymphing or swinging, so all I can comment on is nymphing for steelhead. I prefer to nymph for summers because, to me, it's the coolest thing to figure out what they want. So, here are a few nymphs that I use a lot: big stone flies, tiny to size 6 princes tied in many different forms, possie buggers, various caddis nymphs(since that's what's in western rivers), seal buggers, agent orange's tied in various colors (pretty sure they just like the orange bead, though), and the occasional egg pattern which, of course, is not a nymph. I use switch rods with speydicator line from Airflo to turn over my beefy set up. Good luck, but be careful.....it's insanely addicting.

wozniasm said:
Does anybody have any fly recommendations for steelhead?
Patterns and sizes?
Have my switch/spey setup and wanting to grab a few flies to use with it.

W
wozniasm
agentorange said:
It definitely depends on whether you are nymphing or swinging, so all I can comment on is nymphing for steelhead. I prefer to nymph for summers because, to me, it's the coolest thing to figure out what they want. So, here are a few nymphs that I use a lot: big stone flies, tiny to size 6 princes tied in many different forms, possie buggers, various caddis nymphs(since that's what's in western rivers), seal buggers, agent orange's tied in various colors (pretty sure they just like the orange bead, though), and the occasional egg pattern which, of course, is not a nymph. I use switch rods with speydicator line from Airflo to turn over my beefy set up. Good luck, but be careful.....it's insanely addicting.

Addicting is right. Thanks and welcome to the forum!

A
abel
Trout-tacular! said:
This is the core of my Deschutes selection: Mack's Canyon, Freight train, Street Walker, Green Butt Skunk, Prism in sizes 4 and 6.

Sorry, its the only river I go to for steelhead; it keeps things simple for me.

All very proven traditional Deschutes patterns. The Max Canyon, originated by Doug Stewart, is a blend of black and orange with a bit of white calf hair in the wing, produced well in one of his favorite Mack's Canyon runs. Doug is a wiley master of deception...

M
meluvtrout
don't forget the egg patterns.