Steelhead fishing Newb needs some advice.

P
Paul
Thanks for the tips.

M
metalmania
FishSchooler said:
Don't mind asking questions, afterall, it's how well all get started ;).
Blue foxes (thats the brand name) aren't too bad to start with. The blades on the blue foxes will have a number. If there is a 3, its a size 3 or #3.
Stay away from very shiny finishes on the blade when the water is this low and clear, like nickel. Dark brass, black, blackened brass, blue, dark red, and purple should be fine.
For presenting spinners, cast it upstream 50 degrees and let it sink. Reel in all the slack, and once you feel a tap, jerk the rod back and strip in the slack. This will get the blade spinning in the right "zone". Keep tension with the spinner, by reeling in any slack that forms. If you can feel a pulse in your rod, it's spinning. The slower the pulse, the better. After the spinner is around 45 degrees downstream, start reeling it in slowly, fast as it comes nearer. This is how you drift a spinner, and you can also cast upstream and retrieve it with the current.
It takes a while to perfect, so on your first trip, I recommend just trying to get the pattern down and try to read where steelhead would lie. Fish the seams and runs and riffles and good luck!

p.s. Im still working on this too. ;)

FS said most of it but I will ad some things. Size 3 will work better for most spots right now, especially during the day. Early morning and evening I run 4's. There are so many color patterns out there I can't really say what is the best, but darker is better. Green is an awesome color for summer steel, and nooks. How you present the spinner is very important. Cast upstream then reel in the slack. Good spinners don't require a jerk to get them started. Reeling is not really necessary, but that varies with the water. Just keep slight tension on the line. As the spinner begins to get downstream from you, you will feel a tug, that is the current hitting the spinner head on. At this point lower the rod tip to realease the tension and continue to let it spin. DO NOT reel in until the spinner is almost straight downriver from you. Fish will often follow the spinner very far before they hit it, and reeling in to soon will often cost you a fish. The last two springers I hooked followed the spinner a good 15 feet, and hit in 3 feet of almost totally slack water.

P
Paul
Thanx a lot guys I really appreciate it.

If Me or my friend hooks a fish I will take pics of it and Post here.

M
metalmania
Paul said:

Good luck out there:D.

M
mgdguy
Paul said:

You have *beginner's luck* on your side! Go slay 'em ;)