Steelhead eggs

F
FG_Fishing8
So I recently caught my first hen and needed to cure eggs for the first time. Being my first time, I took the easy route and bought some Pautzke fire cure, pink rose to be exact. Followed the directions, cut into chunks, cover both sides in Fire Cure, put in bag with some extra cure. Stored at room temp for an hour, then stored in fridge for 3 days, stirring eggs a few times a day. Then drained the excess juice, but did not pat them dry. Put them in a jar and they're now freezing.
So my question is, does anybody use this cure for eggs and do you like it/have success on it? And, is it worth trying them for steelhead fishing or should I just stick to jigs?

hobster
Yes, that a very popular cure and I've had plenty of success with it on my eggs. And heck yes its worth fishing for steelhead with it, me and my buddy have hooked plenty of fish this year with eggs cured at home. They tend to work best when the fish are spawning (late summer or most of winter), but the salmon were spawning so late this year they worked awesome early in winter. Have confidence in them and you will hook up!

S
SteelyDan's
Yeah eggs are awesome. You can fish them under a float with a yarnball too just need a little extra weight to get them down there. That scent in the water makes them deadly.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Fire Cure is a great salmon cure. For steelhead I much prefer their BorX O Fire. If you're wanting to use your eggs for steelhead take them out the night before, cut them into bait size chunks, and lay them on paper towels. Then sprinkle some natural BorX O Fire on them and roll them around in it. This will give you a nice durable egg that will withstand your typical steelhead water better.

F
FG_Fishing8
Those eggs look great!

hobster
Check out the Steelhead Stalkers website, they have a great vid on curing eggs - I've recently used their method and it works great.

S
Silvers&Steelies
That's what I use for curing eggs. Good stuff and simple to use.

F
FG_Fishing8
After finding it impossible to buy antlers to make a small chandelier, I've decided to create my own egg cure recipe for my senior project. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

B
bran_man
Just be careful how you freeze your roe. It can really weaken the skein if not done properly and makes your eggs pretty much useless. I wait until they're fully done curing and I also let them tack up a little as well so usually 5 days to a week around there if I'll be freezing them. Then I completely cover them in borax and I found that if you vacuum seal them the end product is much better than if just putting in a plastic bag our jar. Second choice would be jar if you don't have a vacuum sealer. Really helps protect that skein.