Steaming crab

F
Fin Chaser
The crab Gods have been fortunate to me this year and I have done well. I steam them in a large enamel canning pot with a steamer basket in the bottom. I steam them for 15 minutes starting when steam starts appears out of the lid. Lately though I have been having trouble with the meat sticking to the shell. Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Try adding vinegar to your water.
Ordinary distilled white vinegar is fine but you can also use apple cider vinegar. There is no need to use expensive balsamic vinegar. Use three tablespoons of vinegar to every quart of water.
There are a few benefits of adding vinegar while steaming crabs. Here are some:

• The vinegar will reduce the boiling point of the water present in your steaming pot, thus helping you to steam your crabs more quickly.
  • The steam created by the water and vinegar solution will help you avoid the problem of the crab meat sticking to the shell. This makes the crabmeat easier to remove, reducing wastage and making the dish easier to eat.
  • The addition of vinegar helps to tenderize the crab meat.
    https://missvickie.com/why-vinegar-when-steaming-crabs/

F
Fin Chaser
Thank you!!!

Bob Budesa
Bob Budesa
I boil in sea water for 15 min immediately after cleaning, and have no sticking problem whatsoever. Could that be a difference? Crabs are lightly rinsed and iced immediately after cooking.

Reactions: plumbertom
Casting Call
Casting Call
Cook the crab about 10min longer when STEAMING. raw grab sticks to the shell. I have found steaming in the shell is the best way everything else just adds a false flavor unless you want flavor. BTW cook whole. When you buy at the market it's always whole also steaming is much hotter than boiling. Auto-clave kills all germs (hospital steam their crab) Make sense? Tony

Admin
Admin
Can You Use Something Else Instead of Vinegar?

Something else that is popular (perhaps even more so than vinegar), is beer! We don’t personally know anyone who loves seafood and doesn’t think it tastes even better with some cold beer.

Well, now you can add it to the cooking process! It will leave the meat with a very delicious flavor. You can also add seasoning while your crab is cooking. The ratio is up to you, but most people use more beer than water.

https://preparedcooks.com/why-do-you-use-vinegar-when-cooking-crabs/

🍻

Reactions: Chromatose
Casting Call
Casting Call
Are we talking Dungeness crab here? You can add all the spices you want to Cajun boil of crab. Blue crab? Soft shell crab? Deep fried? What? Salt only for Dungeness Whole! Tony

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Dont waste beer!

F
Fin Chaser
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for all the information!!!