Springers

W

wormosa

when is the best time to hit the rivers for springers? i have never fished that run and how far do they run? will they make it to newberg area of the willy?

T

Thuggin4Life

They make it all the way up here. Start watching the counts from the falls.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
I will let you know when the hit MC and it will be a slaughter house for about 2 months.

W

wormosa

thank you, i looked at the fish counts from last year and it seems that april and may seem to be the best months to fish, how long should someone expect the fish to get this far up from willamette falls?

K

Kodiak

Banned User
About 1 to 2 days in your neck of the woods, 27 days to mine, 15 days to waterloo on the south. Understand these are one of the most problematic and finicky fish oregon has to offer. They can be ridicoulsley picky. They are technical, and above all else FUN! If they give you fits let me know...lots of first timers swear they don't exist.

W

wormosa

my next question is this then, would they run like the coho did up to the yamhill or would they be more spread out, i am learning here so any and all help is much appreciated, and on that run you want to use some herring as well?

K

Kodiak

Banned User
most guys there run quick fish from what I understand. I don't fish that section much so I'm not quite sure but herring is always a solid bet. Also the yamhill doesn't get that many springers. I would look to some of the deeper holes in the river on outside corners and in the channels. Considering approx. 68,000 should clear the falls this year you should find a few. Also bear in mind that these fish are headed to the santiams, mckenzie, and upper willy. So try and find the traveling lanes and the depth they are at and let them have it.

W

wormosa

thanks for the info kodiak, when the time comes and i am doing crummy i am sure to write you a msg...

R

rainman

Can't wait for the run to start. Gonna hit Chinook Landing to start with, then as they get to my fave plunking hole(only 3 miles from my house), I'll hit there daily.

M

McMudpuddle

I was crossing the wheatland ferry the other day, looks like good water just below there. There where 3 boat trailers parked at the ramp. What do think they where fishing for? The water was pretty high, cold and dirty?

B

BlackBass

I was crossing the wheatland ferry the other day, looks like good water just below there. There where 3 boat trailers parked at the ramp. What do think they where fishing for? The water was pretty high, cold and dirty?

Sturgeon is what there likely fishing for. I have caught springers in numbers on good run years, on the santiam as early as april 20th. I caught 5 springers in hi cold off color water, april 20th 2004 on the south santiam! From what i understand it takes them 10-15 days to travel from willy falls to t he santiam. Springers can be picky , but they can also be super easy to catch, you just have to be prepared for both. The most important thing when it comes to Springer fishing is quality bait, presentation,and to be fishing where the fish are. If you can dial these three things in, you will be catching springers. I personaly can't wait to shack up at moms house for a week of fishing the south santiam. Old timer once told me, if your wating to catch springers fish when the cotton is falling off the trees. I later learned that at 87 years old and still catching springers, HE WAS RIGHT .