Springers in independence

I
Indifisher
Just thought I would share the news with my fellow OFFers. I saw a nice, bright Springer caught today on the Willamette River in the Independence area today. The only problem was the intact adipose fin on it's back, so back in it went. They're here....

Indifisher

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Specialed
Cool-I live in Salem and am anxious to launch at Wallace Marine Park and try my luck downstream. I found a You Tube video of some guys catching fish south of the Hwy 22 bridge. Anyone have any advice?
Indifisher said:
Just thought I would share the news with my fellow OFFers. I saw a nice, bright Springer caught today on the Willamette River in the Independence area today. The only problem was the intact adipose fin on it's back, so back in it went. They're here....

Indifisher

S
Specialed
Correction-"NORTH" of the Hwy 22 bridge. (No wonder I get lost all the time)
Specialed said:
Cool-I live in Salem and am anxious to launch at Wallace Marine Park and try my luck downstream. I found a You Tube video of some guys catching fish south of the Hwy 22 bridge. Anyone have any advice?

B
Bullitt
Spinners or plugs 30" leader and an 18" dropper. 4 to 6 of depth in the " Travel lane". You will need a decent "rocking chair" anchor and a float. Have patience this fishery can be frustrating at times.

I
Indifisher
Bullitt said:
Spinners or plugs 30" leader and an 18" dropper. 4 to 6 of depth in the " Travel lane". You will need a decent "rocking chair" anchor and a float. Have patience this fishery can be frustrating at times.

No doubt. I can't ever remember anyone saying this fishery was red hot. To say you need patience here is an understatement. I heard there was a little luck at the Social Security Hole, drove by during the day, maybe 25 guys sitting there, waiting for their bell to ring, dying a slow death. Drove back around 5:30 pm, only 4 guys out there, one landed the springer. Only fish of the day.

B
Bullitt
I would not have expected it to have been very good today given the conditions. Overall, the river is in the best shape it's been in quite a while. So far,it's been pretty good for my boat. :)

K
Kodiak
Fish in the channel corners, diver and bait, back through the slots..ssslllloooowww.

J
joni
dying a slow death? sounds like their spending their ritirement wisely to me
their fishing! you would think this would be respected on a fishing forum

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Indifisher said:

Indifisher

Hey,Indifisher!!
Glad to have you back! Nice report as usual. Hope to hear more from you in the future. ;-)

I
Indifisher
joni said:
dying a slow death? sounds like their spending their ritirement wisely to me
their fishing! you would think this would be respected on a fishing forum

Joni,

I meant no offense with the "dying a slow death" statement. It was meant to reflect the style of fishing and the fact that this fishery is never "red hot". Plunking is not for everybody. Some people have a hard time sitting in one spot for up to 10 hrs straight with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Trust me, been there done that, might do it again someday. I never made reference to anybody being old, retired, etc. Some of the guys were younger than me. The spot is known as "Social Security Hole", even shows up on Google Maps that way. I have shown nothing but respect to the members of this forum, both on line and in person.

The point of all this is that the Springers are in the Salem area, and probably up the mainstem of the Santiam. Good luck and Tight Lines.

Indifisher

I
Indifisher
Raincatcher said:
Hey,Indifisher!!
Glad to have you back! Nice report as usual. Hope to hear more from you in the future. ;-)

Raincatcher,

Thanks for the welcome back. Life is hectic sometimes, I don't need to tell you and Mike, my best regards. We have been busy with our new business and the arrival of twin girls. That's right, Olivia has two baby sisters. You know Olivia still refers to little Sharkbait as her "BOYFRIEND". Don't know how to feel about that yet, lol. Hopefully I will be around more and we can get together more often.

Indifisher

N
nointrntrprts
Yes they are here! Roughly 4-6 days after crossing the falls you should be fishin' for em around Salem, imho. Lots of steelhead in the mix..... keeps it interesting at least when running a few rigs - i always run one of three for steel... done well too!

go after em - the willy fishery will end very soon.... too much grass after a few weeks of sun

I
Indifisher
I will be out there Fri, Sat, and Sun from about the butt crack of dawn till I limit. I target mostly Steelhead in the area, a Springer is a bonus. With the numbers lately, I might just have to target a Springer or two. If I have an open seat on any of these days, I will be sure to let people know.

Indifisher

J
joni
my bad

my bad

Ok sorry about that
yeah you're right the point is that the springers are coming in
which yeah that's awesome
some pretty big numbers the last week or so think it's over 5000 over the falls now
i guess i just got a little riled because those guys down there love fishing and B.S.ing about fishing and have been nothing but nice to me so i read into something that wasn't really there again sorry for the thread hijack
Indifisher said:
Joni,

I meant no offense with the "dying a slow death" statement. It was meant to reflect the style of fishing and the fact that this fishery is never "red hot". Plunking is not for everybody. Some people have a hard time sitting in one spot for up to 10 hrs straight with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Trust me, been there done that, might do it again someday. I never made reference to anybody being old, retired, etc. Some of the guys were younger than me. The spot is known as "Social Security Hole", even shows up on Google Maps that way. I have shown nothing but respect to the members of this forum, both on line and in person.

The point of all this is that the Springers are in the Salem area, and probably up the mainstem of the Santiam. Good luck and Tight Lines.

Indifisher

Last edited by a moderator:
J
joni
Indifisher said:
I will be out there Fri, Sat, and Sun from about the butt crack of dawn till I limit. I target mostly Steelhead in the area, a Springer is a bonus. With the numbers lately, I might just have to target a Springer or two. If I have an open seat on any of these days, I will be sure to let people know.

Indifisher

where u putting in at?

I
Indifisher
joni said:
where u putting in at?

Joni,

I usually put in at Buena Vista, and travel up to the mouth of the Santiam. We only fished to about noon each day, sometimes I would rather fish alone, no reasons to leave the water early. I caught Bass, Whitefish, and Pike Minnow. The only fish I couldn't hit were the Salmon, Steelhead, and those phantom Sturgeon. There were fewer boats out there than I had expected. No one admitted hooking up. I did see several Salmon role on Fri, and saw several Steelhead on Sat and Sun as we drifted over them. The water was still a little cold, 46 - 48 degrees, visability was around 4.5 ft. I spooked several Steelhead looking over the side of the boat in about 4 ft of water.

Indifisher