springers from the bank..i need help!!!

brandon4455

brandon4455

i hav never had to much luck with springers at all.. i usually try to drift fish with chartruese corkies and yarn but i would like atleast one more option to try out. roe isn't an option for me to expensive.

brandon

T

Thuggin4Life

catch a fish with roe and use it under a float. drift with scent or even a corkie and roe. ever try plunking. help fund a trip in my boat in march and troll for them?

brandon4455

brandon4455

never trolled before. but i would love to give it a shot. im down ill put some money in my fishing fund bank in the coming month or two and shoot me a pm. i have plunked on the willy with spin glos and corkies on the salmon river thats about it. are we talking trolling the columbia ?

P

plumb2fish

fresh or frozen prawn from the grocery store, wrap tuna in oil into small baits about the size of a quarter in red spawn sack netting insert into bait loop and drift away. large size 4,5,6 blue foxes, plain ol yarn dipped in tuna "oil" not watery juice

brandon4455

brandon4455

thanks, im sure those options will be cheaper then roe ;) now i have a larger arsenal of springer stuff

brandon

S

SantiamDrifter

fresh or frozen prawn from the grocery store, wrap tuna in oil into small baits about the size of a quarter in red spawn sack netting insert into bait loop and drift away. large size 4,5,6 blue foxes, plain ol yarn dipped in tuna "oil" not watery juice

Yeah what he said, make sure the tuna is packed in "oil" not tuna water.... Big difference. Also if your not having much luck, change spots.

F

fish4life

I started catching a lot more fish when I started bobber fishing vs. drift fishing, but Ive also caught some on spinners even hooked one on a bobber and jig. Ive never caught one plunking but seen them caught on spin glow and prawn.

F

FishFinger

I believe you'll have "better" luck with spinners as terminal gear when the water temp is 43-44 and up.

S

SantiamDrifter

Why we talkin springers anyway? Winter steel is just gettin good!!!!

brandon4455

brandon4455

i believe there are springers down south in the bays and estuairies but not the mainsem flowing part of rivers

madasahab

madasahab

I wasn't able to post so I'm gonna piggyback with a few questions..is a 12-30lb 8'6" good for float/drift /gear fishing with braid? if so, what test? could i also have a braid pole for steelies for all applications?

brandon4455

brandon4455

yes,8'6 is good. and i think braid would only be good for float fishing not drifting. i would have braid set up on a float fishing only rod. i think most people use 10lb braid for float fishing and a little heavier for drift fishing .. thats for steelhead thpugh id say heavier for salmon . if you are going to be drift fishing more often then float fishing use mono.

A

adambomb

Last year it was a 3/4" chuck of sardine above your eggs and a prawn that put a bunch of fish on my tag late. Water temps wil also help determine what bait to use, colors, etc. and when.

Hey Phil, great to hear from you again!!