Spring Chinook Technigues

T
Team CF
I am just wondering some different ways to catch some springers I have caught them before with corkys and beads just side drifting but its not the most effective. I will be fishing mostly the Santiams (focused more on the South), Rogue and potentially the North Umpqua areas. Its getting close!

I will be fishing from the bank (99%) of the time I do have a pontoon boat I may bring a long on certain days. I have one rod and reel combo. 8foot6inch Berkley Air IM7 Buzz Ramsey and a Shimano Calcutta 400B I have 25 or 30lb Big Game.

Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
Easy..... Bobber fish!

R
RunWithSasquatch
I agree, bobbering is a good for chinooks from the bank.

Drifting baits, stinky stuff, spinners, etc

Plugs in boats...

Its all the same, for all the fish. Spring/fall salmon. Summer/winter steelhead, all the techniques work good on all the species, all of the colors, all of the baits. Its just application, and reading water.

T
Team CF
What do you recommended under the bobbers? I like this idea because I have a ton of massive slip bobbers already. haha

M
Mad dog
Roe and sandshrimp fished under a float on the North Umpqua, Drift fishing on the Rogue. Spoons and spinners work well if the fish are holding in the flats. If you boat fish diver and bait combo's are killers! Wrapped kwickfish, backbouncing roe....lots of ways to catch springers effectively.

As stated above, technique used depends upon the type of water you are fishing.

T
Team CF
Ok ill have to try the bobber rig seems easiest for the few areas I know where to fish on the Santiam. I will be going to the upper Rogue near Shady Cove this weekend not a lot of fish up there yet but its better then not fishing haha

T
Throbbit _Shane
Team CF said:
Ok ill have to try the bobber rig seems easiest for the few areas I know where to fish on the Santiam. I will be going to the upper Rogue near Shady Cove this weekend not a lot of fish up there yet but its better then not fishing haha

people are catching them on the upper rogue. spoons and beads will work from the bank i guess. also iv heard of one being caught with plugs from the bank but you'll need a side planer. id try to stay away from the hatchery hole. people there arnt the friendliest

T
Team CF
Yeah I dont go to the hatchery hole the cheif or the bridge I go to usually.

M
markasd
Another vote for the bobber system...

T
Throbbit _Shane
I caught one yesterday one a diver and eggs. but i was in a boat

brandon4455
brandon4455
plunking or bobber and shrimp is my fav (not an egg guy)

F
fishyden
I have had a lot of success with a vey simple pencil weight with a 3ft leader with some red beads and a white,green,or pink corky and eggs or shrimp.
Sorry I missed your first thread you drift this way already. I have caught a couple using a stalker bobber and eggs also got lucky with a pink plastic steelhead worm.

Last edited:
F
fishyden
brandon4455 said:
plunking or bobber and shrimp is my fav (not an egg guy)

No matter how hard I try I end up getting egg all over my gear. It is a pain to remove once it dries

S
strawberry shortcake
I got some shrimp, some worms, and a spreader with a triangle weight. Will try next week on the Umatilla again. There has got to be a way for a shrimp of a girl to catch a salmon.

J
JeannaJigs
Even with a boat...I like a nice bobber down. Diver and bait work good too but it's more fun for the person up front lol

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Howdy boys I have been out fishing for some days now and had one on but a stupid seallion ate it! :( So I am looking at the clack willie and maybe the sandy, I want to bank fish and not pay at a park. Does anyone know of a good spot on any of them rivers... I know the 5 year olds have alread turned from oregon city and headed up stream just need to find them....

G
GoldFishSlayer
your set up for the heavy bobber fishing already it seems with that rod and reel... sand shrimp,roe are deadly effective at times I like to make shrimp cocktails I have even done good fishing spawn sacs with canned tuna and roe under a bobber or just tuna and whatever else scent you want to add its cheap bait and it works ... I have also caught many springers on jigs and spinners but you might need a bit different set up to fish that and be most effective