Some advice on stocker Trout

L
lilsalmon
Needy?

D
Drew9870
We kinda misunderstood Bobbi's post and took it like she wanted rep for giving so much rep.

M
metalfisher76
Drew9870 said:
From personal "research" :)lol:) at about age 13, I can tell you an aquarium (hatchery :)) fish will grab a line tied to a worm with no hook, fight it, get the free meal, and continue to do so. Hatchery fish are no different, they are born around man and fed by man, if your thoughts on INSTINCT were true, then how come the aquarium fish (which were also derived from a wild fish) aren't so pressured after this ''study'', and never refused to eat the meal that almost cost them their life. Carp in Paylakes around the central and southern parts of the country have absolutely torn up mouths, and they continue to eat even though they get caught, we think too highly of fish sometimes, why do you think I quit going around saying how much smarter Carp are than other fish, I realized Carp are just another fish, really, if fish were humans, it wouldn't be referred to as 'species', it would be 'race', we all pretty much have the same requirements and when it comes down to it, we live the same, we try to survive.

For those that don't know, a Paylake is basically fishing + gambling + competing in a planted pond.

'study" is a huge word for a couple of "experiences" That`s all. Their brains are the size of a breadcrumb and the only thing they do in this world is eat and spawn. THAT is why SOME fish will come back over and over.
But you CLEARLY "know" more about it than me.... ppppfffffttt:rolleyes::lol: so OFF I go:lol:

B
bigsteel
not to hotspot but i hear junction city pond just got some "larger fish"

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
Reactions: FishFinger, Markcanby, OutdoorsTeen and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
Very nice

Very nice

Sinkline said:
I believe there is a place for stocked trout regardless what various folks perception is of them. Many folks are at a place in their lives where fishing must be easy for them to have a chance for success. Some older folks, folks with disabilities, folks who rarely fish, etc. etc. I'm sure everyone knows someone who would have much difficulty fishing for other than stocked trout with easy access. Even some skilled anglers find pleasure in watching their rods bend and drags zing as they catch and release dozens of stockers! Sometimes time or expense can make fishing close to home for stocked trout better than fishing no trout???

Personally, I would like to see Oregon follow Montana's leade and manage all streams for 100% wild propagation and save stocked trout for select Stillwater locations only. And lake stocking should be broken down to perhaps wild propagation if the lake has adequate spawning habitat, fingerling stocking if the lake is rich enough, or catchables as the last resort.

It's nice to have choices so ALL sorts of folks can find some pleasure fishing. :cool:

Randy

Extremely well said!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Randy (Sinkline)- Thank you for an eloquent and succinct post. God knows I have been sitting here with my finger hovering over the "close thread" button for long enough...hopefully yours will be the fitting end to this thread, and we can move on to other topics.

EJ

PS- If Bobbi is getting points, I think I should get some too, even if only for using "eloquent" and "succinct" in the same sentence...

Reactions: Admin, waco, OnTheFly and 7 others
B
BobbiDollPDX
Drew9870 said:
We kinda misunderstood Bobbi's post and took it like she wanted rep for giving so much rep.

Yup, I was whining cuz I wanted to give out more rep and couldn't.

Reactions: skunk
S
skunk
halibuthitman said:
Im pretty sure this thread will eventually cause a suicide.. it reminds me of a kid I knew who tried to wash paper plates at scout camp.... when in the hell does bobbi put up the picture of the bunny with a pancake on its head..? oh yeah im hungry, mabe I,ll have Mexican.. no, fried chicken.. yeah,, thats what i,ll have ... fried chicken, or mabe chicken dumplings...... hmmm why can I hear my thoughts out loud... I appear to have no inner monolog....

nope, I hear that inner monologe quite clearly.......

M
mrlindeman
My first trout on a fly rod was a stocker. He wouldnt hit anything other than an olive wooley if I remember correctly. After catching 2 more I switched it up. No hits on the nymphs or other color woolies. Went back to the wooly and bam. I do believe that Stock trout adapt and fast. Actually it has been proven. Hold overs and even first day stockers will hit dries and minnow patterns. I have seen this myself for most of my life fishing. Sure they are slow and awry at first but that is as you are correct due to diet, Lathargy, lack of muscle density, and over crowding. Give them a week in most environments that will support wild trout and soon you will notice no difference other than the adipose.

One thing I do agree on is Kastmasters, Spinners and power bait. None of these have ever been as consistant as fly fishing has for me. I have gotten to the point where nothing with a treble hook resides in my fishing gear any longer.
When I was young I believed treble hooks were a cheat lol. I guess I have come ful circle. There have been days, yes that I could get stockers to hit on any fly I swung, But 2 days later and it was just like fishing a wild trout. I was changing flies every 10 casts until I got a bite. Then that was they fly I used until the trout moved.

This is all my experience. Some folks can catch trout on anything. I can't. But I have had days when they will hit anything, and days where they were very pressured and picky. It goes both ways.

B
BobbiDollPDX
halibuthitman said:
Im pretty sure this thread will eventually cause a suicide.. it reminds me of a kid I knew who tried to wash paper plates at scout camp.... when in the hell does bobbi put up the picture of the bunny with a pancake on its head..? oh yeah im hungry, mabe I,ll have Mexican.. no, fried chicken.. yeah,, thats what i,ll have ... fried chicken, or mabe chicken dumplings...... hmmm why can I hear my thoughts out loud... I appear to have no inner monolog....

I'm here for you man

tumblr_l7va4ssRj51qcj14uo1_400.jpg

Reactions: GungasUncle
M
mrlindeman
This thread inspired me. None of us should be arguing at all. So lets have some fun! :)

i used this to tie a test fly for stock trout lol I just want to see if it is possible to catch them on anything.
trash.png

I made this garbage fly. Its dubbed with carpet, hair, and scraps.
trashfly.png

Reactions: GungasUncle
T
the_intimidator03
man, NOW you really make it tempting to concoct a strange fly... belly lint nymph LOL depending upon the shirt worn is the color of the dubbin

O
OnTheFly
18406ej said:
PS- If Bobbi is getting points, I think I should get some too, even if only for using "eloquent" and "succinct" in the same sentence...
Ding! There you go. Now where's Troutski...

Last edited: