Sockeye bank spots near Portland?

T
Troutier Bassier
Anyone know of some good bank spots for Sockeyes near Portland? I've been thinking meldrum bar but I don't know if that's a good spot for them or not.
Anything would be appreciated! thanks :)

W
waco
Does sockeye goes up to the Willamette river?

Aervax
Aervax
One of my fishing pals is a fisheries biologist. According to him the place where anglers have the best catch rate for sockeye is "The Wall" at Cascade Locks Marina. I think it is exit 44 on highway 84. It is a cement breakwater/wall to protect the boat lauch from wave action. It is wide enough to have a sidewalk on it. When the sockeye numbers start to climb he says guys limit out there pretty routinely. I have yet to try it, but will be giving it a shot this year.

T
Troutier Bassier
I've fished cascade locks plenty of times for shad and have seen sockeye caught there. I will have to try it!

H
halibuthitman
the columbia side of sauvies island, small spin an glos about 10 ft out from the bank, reds are bank runners, if you get out in more than 10' of water you will be completely out of the zone-

S
skunk
halibuthitman said:
the columbia side of sauvies island, small spin an glos about 10 ft out from the bank, reds are bank runners, if you get out in more than 10' of water you will be completely out of the zone-

Couldn't have said it better, don't cast as far out as for kings or summers. Those sockeye hang close, and they can be light bitters. My son set the hook on a two bell ding that I was going to ignore and came up with a fish! Then saw one crash a long rod like a summer. And they don't go up the willamette waco. They are headed up for a lake in canada if I remember correctly. Could be wrong on the destination but its way upriver somewhere. Also I have found they bite better the closer to the mouth of the columbia you go. I do really well at prescott.

M
Moe
When do they start running?

B
Backtrolling
Moe said:
When do they start running?

Anytime 5000 went over bonneville yesterday.

Aervax
Aervax
They are just starting to get going now. Counts are around 6000 fish a day and climbing.

Aervax
Aervax
The season below Bonneville is open now, 6/16-6/30. Above Bonneville it is open too, 6/16-7/31.