Smith River

F
fishinandfootball
Anyone know anything about the chinook fishing above tidewater on the Smith river? A buddy and I plan on going this weekend, I've just never fished. It would be nice to have some info going there so any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys and gals!

H
halibuthitman
I don't think I have ever seen a post on here about the smith.... let us know how you like it, p.m Maddog.... he knows just about everything south of Roseburg-

F
fishinandfootball
Alright thanks. Ill report back when I can.

P
plumb2fish
Do you mean the smith in n.California or the smith that is a trib of the umpqua....if you mean the umpqua trib, there is very little public access and a very short portion of the river is open above tidewater.

F
fredaevans
Most of the Smith you'll want to fish is actually in California! Upper sections are in Oregon, but most of that is 'ruff and ready' fishing wise.

G
grampa ron
Smith River Chinook Fishing

I have fished the Smith river many times. It does not start in CA. The mouth of the Smith empties into the Umpqua river just up river from Reedsport. You can fish from there all the way up to where it gets to shallow for a motor. There is a good about ramp about 10 miles up river from HWY101. Unless you see fish rolling on your way up river, I probably wouldn't start fishing until I got past the N. Fork. It's good boat run from the put in to N. Fork. Watch out for submerged trees.

I mostly used Blue Fox spinners #5. It's best if you can time it for an incoming tide. The river goes up and down 6 to 8 ft. with the tide changes. If you have good bait you can do the bobber thing also.
If your going above tide water there is limited access, do to all the private property. Access mostly starts around the falls. There is a fish ladder there and pretty good access.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
Thanks GR. I'd totally forgotten there was a Smith River in Oregon. The one I know/fish is just south of the Oregon Boarder in Kalifornia. Off to Google to find out a bit about 'ours.'

Fred

F
fishinandfootball
yeah guysim talking about the smith in oregon, the tributary of the umpqua.

F
fishinandfootball
So it is opened all the way up the falls then? i wasn't so sure about that. yeah my plan was to fish bobber and bait from the bank, I guess ill have to make a run up there this weekend to get to know where stuff is. thanks for your help and Ill report back thank again.

P
plumb2fish
If you are coming up from Gardiner, there is a bridge that crosses a creek about the 13 mile marker. That creek is Tue salmon deadline...this is well below the falls and only about a half mile above tide water. I think it is Spencer Creek, but that may be the steelhead boundary...can't remember the name for sure. Make sure you look it up in the special regs as well as the salmon season regs on line...I know you cannot keep silvers in the smith unless you get a stray clipped one.

E
eugene1
Fishinandfootball, Just choose the section you want to fish, From special regs:

Good luck, I've thought about trying it too, but never did since the Umpqua fishes well also and has more fish.

3. Smith River mainstem from mouth upstream to Spencer Creek and North Fork from mouth upstream to Johnson Creek, including tidewater
• Open for Chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-March 31 and May 26-Dec. 31.
• Catch and release for trout, Open May 26-Sept. 15.
• Open for striped bass entire year.
• Use of bait allowed in tidewater areas.
• 2 fish per 24 consecutive hours limit, 24-inch minimum size for striped bass.

4. Smith River mainstem from Spencer Creek upstream to Sisters Creek and North Fork from Johnson Creek upstream to Bridge 10
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead Jan. 1-April 30 and Dec. 1-31.
• Catch and release for trout, open May 26-Sept. 15,
• Restricted to artificial flies and lures May 26- Sept. 15.

5. Smith River tributaries, including tide-water portions, Smith River mainstem upstream from Sisters Creek, and North Fork and tributaries upstream from Bridge 10
• Open for trout May 26-Sept. 15.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures, except tidewater areas where use of bait is allowed.
• Open for striped bass entire year in tidewater areas.
• 2 fish per 24 consecutive hours limit, 24-inch minimum size for striped bass.

F
fishinandfootball
alright thanks eugene.