Slaw float 10/29

rogerdodger
took my kayak for a pedal/float from Mapleton to Florence today, last sunny day before, fingers crossed, several days of rain...not much going on up above Tiernan, some boats fishing B&E but not many splashes near shore for them to chase, no fish hooked while I passed by...below Tiernan there were more near shore jumping but almost no thick (king) arches on the sonar...no herring today, just spinners and Apex lures...getting close to Cushman, looking like a skunk day, didn't see any fish caught by other boats and then as I was preparing to change spinners, fish on (medium pink bell spinner), nice strong fish, first few flashes had me thinking it might be a small king but after some serious tail dancing near the kayak, it was clearly a coho and worth using my last tag space for the river, it made 2 runs and more jumps as I tried to net it, I kept firm during the acrobatics but still kept expecting the spinner to come loose and hit me in the head...

then it went under the kayak just for fun but she was all worn out by then and ready for the net...ended up being a nice shiny hen that was almost 29"....

I didn't see much on the sonar from Cushman down to Florence launch but pulled various color spinners the whole way hoping to add either a jack or king, but alas, not today...cheers, roger

Reactions: Admin
E
eugene1
Great coho, roger!

Glad to see you are still chasing the chrome on the lower slaw. Don't give up yet for kings...

Best,

B
Bgunder
Nice fish!I still need to get that second coho on my tag. I'm also crossing my fingers for some good rain soon.

B
brewer
That is some bright chrome, looks like you are getting it dialed in. Those Ho's love pink spinners.

Raincatcher
Good for you, sir! :thumb: You are becoming quite the exemplary fisherman these days. :worthy: Great post, too.

rogerdodger
with so much fish in the freezer, we decided to can a pressure cooker load of fillet pieces from this fish, 5 half pints and 7 quarter pints, gives me a chance to try some jars with liquid smoke and Cajun seasoning...plus some plain coho jars to give my sister for xmas...man catching those coho is a blast, especially being at water level where you get splashed during the fun..

M
mikeredding
Right on. Now get over to Siltcoos and drag some plugs for the other tag spots.