Siuslaw / salmon questions

Z
zoft1z1792
Im still new to fishing this area, looking to hit the Siuslaw Friday and Saturday afternoon this week. Looking to fish for salmon with my fly rod, although my buddy will probably be using a spin rod. Im planning on driving in to the Mapleton area, and wading or shore fishing. What do I need to know going in to this, I have yet to explore the Siuslaw?

D
Dustin0718
Well ill say good luck since chinook wont take a fly, if i understand correctly, since their only goal up river is to spawn so they dont eat natural food sources while spawning. That why bobber and eggs are so commonly used in the area. I know that Cabella's has egg patterns to purchase for use on fly rods, and boy wouldn't it be fun to hook up with a 15+ pound chinook on a fly rod?

Coho might go for flies i'm sure, but you cannot legally angle for these fish right now anyways as retention is closed for them in the siuslaw.

What you would probably catch a lot of are sea-run cutthroat trout, which there is a healthy population in the river right now.

If you looking to have a good shot at catching and retaining a salmon you may want to ditch the fly rod and bring a rod to rig up for bobber and egg. Although i'd be curious how cabella's egg pattern "flies" would work when spotting and targeting an active spawning ground.

I'll be hitting the siuslaw friday , though it may be too high still. Lake creek which feeds into the siuslaw is also a good alternative if its flowing too strong. On the same highway up from swisshome.

Z
zoft1z1792
I know the old argument of "spawning and not feeding" , but feeding and taking a fly definitely are not inherently the same . Egg patterns are always an option as well, I've actually caught many spawning salmon on flies , having them take the fly , opposed to any method of "flossing" them that many do . But I wouldn't be opposed to landing some cutthroat a as well . Perhaps I'll see you there on Friday , thanks for the heads up on lake creek as well, I may have to check that out too .

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you should find plenty of bank locations if you head up from Mapleton right on up to where Indian Creek comes into Lake Creek. as for catching chinook on a fly, there might be a couple of people on here that can comment on that...cheers, roger

Last edited:
Z
zoft1z1792
whats the parking like around there?

troutdude
troutdude
Dustin0718;n599642 said:
their only goal up river is to spawn so they dont eat natural food sources while spawning. That why bobber and eggs are so commonly used in the area.

So eggs aren't, a natural food source? And yes; they do hit flies.

Reactions: rogerdodger and zoft1z1792
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
zoft1z1792;n599659 said:
whats the parking like around there?

yes, there are various spots along the river, you will see cars. Schindler Landing (Lane County launch/rest stop) is just before the deadline on Lake Creek, there are holes above and below there, just don't fish above where Indian Creek comes in...

Reactions: zoft1z1792
Z
zoft1z1792
Thanks rogerdodger, its always a pain going somewhere new to fish and not being sure where to leave the car