Siuslaw River Fishing Reports

GaryP1958

Today was my 8th trip out! 3 weeks ago the water was 70F today down by the Wall it was 53 and 60F at The Dairy Hole! Fishing is getting better daily 1/2 fish per rod I would say. Lost one to a seal today above Cushman. Fish are being caught above the Dairy Hole and Cushman and alot more boats out!

GaryP1958

Fished today no love saw a gal lose one at the barge hole! The launch ramp was fun almost saw a guide in a fist fight over a guy cutting in line! Fish are there but not chewing yet!

Utahutes

0 fo2 today lost one OFF Greentrees on a K16 then went up to Cushman put on NC Chartreuse spinner and got slammed! Nook peeled 30 yards OFF then went airborn 5 feet in the air and spit it! 20 lb hookjaw! My luck has to change!
What's NC stand for brand is your spinner?

maxwyatt

Does anybody know if there's fish above Elkton? I don't have a boat so bank fishing is my only hope. Thanks!

maxwyatt

Yes, they’ve been above Elkton for weeks. Fishing is pretty slow however.
I meant Mapleton.... doh. I lost a couple spinners near Elkton last Friday. No salmonids were seen by me that day, just a couple small bass. I was thinking I might try a few of the pullouts along Hwy 36 and Stagecoach Rd tomorrow. On the other hand, I could get the hallway pointed and have something to show for my efforts. :)

hobster

I got a coho Monday on bobber and eggs. Tasted great! Ha ha, was released of course. Nook fishing is slow, didn’t see any hooked and only a couple roll. Pretty sure Stagecoach is closed for Nook fishing, closed above the fork with Lake creek. I could be wrong, make sure to check the regs. Good luck!

maxwyatt

I got a coho Monday on bobber and eggs. Tasted great! Ha ha, was released of course. Nook fishing is slow, didn’t see any hooked and only a couple roll. Pretty sure Stagecoach is closed for Nook fishing, closed above the fork with Lake creek. I could be wrong, make sure to check the regs. Good luck!
You are correct:
Lake Cr to Whittaker Cr• Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Mar 31 aWnd Dec 1-31.• Closed for Chinook salmon.

Well, that narrows down my options significantly.

jamisonace

Made it back to Florence. Marked tons of fish but the bite never turned on. 2 bites, one hooked and landed. No other fish seen caught.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
I have heard nothing good. and nothing good at Siltcoos either (spent today there, 61F water but a late algae bloom and didn't see any big fish).

Markk

That’s not what I wanted to hear. I am going to give the Siuslaw a go on Tuesday. Will report back.

hobster

Slow! Rains this week should help. Been out twice and haven’t seen a nook hooked either time. Bobber and eggs of the bank. Hope you get one, good luck

Markk

Released 2 coho, 1 by the million dollar motor homes and the other by the summer homes. Saw one Chinook lost at the boat and talked to a guide that was above the summer home that had 3.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Is the dam open on Siltcoos if not do you have any idea when?
the company that took over the dams at Siltcoos and Tahk appears to be operating them differently. instead of letting the water level go up, then cycling the dam way open and then closed, like in the past, they seem to be trying to open the spillways a bit and adjusting them to balance water coming in with water flowing out.

so yes, the dam has been opened, back in late September is what I heard, and the water level is currently what I would consider 'normal' (not high or low), but the dam being opened doesn't mean what it used to, IMO. If the storm hitting now provides a few inches of rain, I would expect further opening of the spillways and hopefully we will see lots of coho activity in the lake soon.

Markk

the company that took over the dams at Siltcoos and Tahk appears to be operating them differently. instead of letting the water level go up, then cycling the dam way open and then closed, like in the past, they seem to be trying to open the spillways a bit and adjusting them to balance water coming in with water flowing out.

so yes, the dam has been opened, back in late September is what I heard, and the water level is currently what I would consider 'normal' (not high or low), but the dam being opened doesn't mean what it used to, IMO. If the storm hitting now provides a few inches of rain, I would expect further opening of the spillways and hopefully we will see lots of coho activity in the lake soon.
It will be interesting how the dams new operating procedure will affect the coho. Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting how the dams new operating procedure will affect the coho. Thanks for the info.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
I think the coho will be just fine with it, they can use the fish ladder anytime they want, or pass through the dam when it is open enough.

If it reduces the big surges of coho that often followed a big change in the dam opening, that could make catching them a bit more difficult, for some.

Top Bottom