Siuslaw crabbing?

Markk
Markk
Any reports?
Thanks

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've kinda given up crabbing the Siuslaw..
Last few times I tried there, I got very few legal size dungeness, and way too many green crabs.
Seems as though the Green crabs have pretty much replaced dungeness crabs there.
I was doing well there for a while and would much prefer to crab there even though the fishing for rock fish along the jetties while the traps soak was never productive.
But it's less than half the driving distance to the next closest crabbing area for me.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have heard no reports. Last time I was out, Thanksgiving week, it was excellent but that was before all the rain we have had.

I have never pulled up a green crab in the Siuslaw, we shall see if I get any this year.

Reactions: Markk, plumbertom and LazyBrewer
plumbertom
plumbertom
Makes me wonder what part of the river you were crabbing in.
Last couple of times I tried, the result was about the same for each trip.
I was working from just inside the jetties up river to the CG dock on both sides.
The greenies were prevalent even though there were a number of undersize Dungeness.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Quite few greenies on the Mos dock!

Reactions: plumbertom
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom said:
Makes me wonder what part of the river you were crabbing in.
Last couple of times I tried, the result was about the same for each trip.
I was working from just inside the jetties up river to the CG dock on both sides.
The greenies were prevalent even though there were a number of undersize Dungeness.
Unless it's summer, I crab the Siuslaw low- from just above the green A7 buoy (near the diving stairs) down A4 and sometimes the CG lookout tower. I like ocean fresh crabs!

What sort of habitat do the greens like?

plumbertom
plumbertom
rogerdodger said:
Unless it's summer, I crab the Siuslaw low- from just above the green A7 buoy (near the diving stairs) down A4 and sometimes the CG lookout tower. I like ocean fresh crabs!

What sort of habitat do the greens like?
I usully do the same area and as far up as the CG dock.
And both sides.
As far as the greenies preferred habitat, I have no idea they just seem to be everywhere.