Single person pontoon

T
TTFishon
Is a class 2 river rating good for a pontoon?
 
L
lizardman
yes and no. If the pontoon is of good manufacture then yes.

I would be hesitant to try any toon made by classic accessories (but that is my own prejudice as other toons of the same size are lighter and stronger, but do cost more). Any other toon in the 9+ foot range if you are under the weight limit by 50 or so pounds (say you and your gear is 350 and the weight capacity of the boat is 400) I would say go for it... on a nine foot toon I would use the Outcast limit of 375 instead of what other manufacturers use (400 lbs).

Class one and two rivers also are easy to run in a good canoe (not to mention fun). Just don't try it in one with a keel like the aluminum Gruman canoes as you will find yourself in the drink if you try to turn across an eddy (another story for later).

Dave
 
T
TTFishon
Thanks Lizardman. I'm saving some money for a pontoon and I'm just checking my options while I save.
 
Troutski
Troutski
11 foot...

11 foot...

If you would like to get up close and personal with a 11 footer you can stop by and check mine out. It has a hard floor along with anchor system and rod holders. The offer is there if you like...I am not selling it but sometimes it's cool to be able to really check them out.

Chuck
 
T
TTFishon
Thanks Troutski, that's really cool of you. Are you going to be home tomorrow evening or anytime on Sunday?
 
Troutski
Troutski
PM...

PM...

TTFishon said:
Thanks Troutski, that's really cool of you. Are you going to be home tomorrow evening or anytime on Sunday?

PM sent..

Chuck
 
L
lizardman
TTFishon said:
Thanks Lizardman. I'm saving some money for a pontoon and I'm just checking my options while I save.

I have an Outcast "fishcat 9" which is a nine footer I am selling. It is listed here in the classifieds. If you would like to take a drive up here and play with it you are more than welcome to do so. The reason I am selling it is I want to pick up a 12-13 foot double hauler so I can take my boy who will be nine years of age and not quite ready to take the helm of a single person toon. Mine is badged "Sportsman's 9" but is the same boat as the Outcast badged toon.

I could sell the basic boat with an extra set of longer oars (carlisle one piece nine foot oars) and the anchor and the accessories it came with for $475. but you would have to buy your own pump as these don't come with a pump (the new ones don't either).


I am about two and a half hours east of Portland on I-84 in Boardman.

Dave
 
T
TTFishon
lizardman said:
I have an Outcast "fishcat 9" which is a nine footer I am selling. It is listed here in the classifieds. If you would like to take a drive up here and play with it you are more than welcome to do so. The reason I am selling it is I want to pick up a 12-13 foot double hauler so I can take my boy who will be nine years of age and not quite ready to take the helm of a single person toon. Mine is badged "Sportsman's 9" but is the same boat as the Outcast badged toon.

I could sell the basic boat with an extra set of longer oars (carlisle one piece nine foot oars) and the anchor and the accessories it came with for $475. but you would have to buy your own pump as these don't come with a pump (the new ones don't either).


I am about two and a half hours east of Portland on I-84 in Boardman.

Dave

If only you were a bit closer or should I say a lot closer. I'm guessing it's about a four hour drive for me. I did see your add. I don't have that much saved up yet. Sounds like a good deal though.
 
L
lizardman
Well if it is four hours from you, then come up and we can make a fishing trip out of it :) You can even put a tent in my back yard, and I can make a heck of an omlet, or put a good burn on a steak :)

Dave

p.s. when the Coho get running up the Umatilla it is a catch fest.
 
T
TTFishon
Hmm. I'll give that some serious thought.
 
F
FernRidgeChamp
My pontoon is a Creek Company Sport, now a Creek Company classic. It is 8-10 years old and still holding up. I got it used a couple of months ago and it's never let me down. My friend has a Creek Company classic and he takes it down the McKenzie probably every weekend. I'm more of a lake guy myself but have read a report online of someone going on a 3 day float in Alaska and it held up. Check out ebay for them too. You can get one for under $200. You can also get a XR8 and XR9 which are better pontoons highly discounted off ebay (check out the no reserve auctions, not buy it now).

Good luck and you won't regret it. Mine goes everywhere with ease. It weighs 45 lbs so I can toss it on my car, a couple tie downs and I'm off. From car to water in 5 minutes and vice-versa.

FRC
 

Similar threads

REELY HOOKED
Replies
2
Views
707
RiverWalker
RiverWalker
FairweatherFisher
Replies
13
Views
737
slabjig
S
Fummus
Replies
5
Views
344
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
J
Replies
25
Views
2K
DOKF
DOKF
troutdude
Replies
0
Views
532
troutdude
troutdude
Top Bottom