Since when have trout been so hard to catch

D
dangerranger
So i took my girlfriend out yesterday to "catch" some trout. So i think this trip makes my 6 or 7th skunking in a row. We went up to Harriet Lake fished with everything in my box. Worms, Spinners, eggs, fake worms, kastmasters not a single bite. So we hit N. Fork resivoir on the way home... same thing there and on my last trips. I grew up Fishing the upper Rouge River and its tributaries and i remember we would always limit out. I dont know if methods have changed or if im doing something terribly wrong or if there are others out there with the same issues lol. If anyone has any good input it would be greatly appreciated so I dont keep embarassing myself when i take my girlfriend fishing :)

B
BobbiDollPDX
For me it seems to be all about the time of day. I've put a lot of trout in the freezer this year. Early morning or evening seems to be the best. I've been very successful at Detroit and Olalla the past couple of months. I haven't fished North Fork in years but I recall it was always best after 6pm. When fishing from the bank, I'm a bobber and worm kinda girl.

T
trollin4trout
Most all lakes within an hour or so of town are put and take fisheries-ODFW puts them in and we take them out. Then they're gone until the next stocking. (i.e. read the stocking reports and go fishing SOON after they are put in) You're in the big city now-NOT in Rogue River fish heaven!

Harriet is small enough that there just may be NONE left in the lake. Maybe go another half hour up the gravel road to Timothy- it's big enough to not ever really get fished out- you just have to find a spot where the fish are. North Fork is BIG enough that you may just have been in a place where there were no fish at that time- I would move around until you find fish. Haag Lake also is big enough and gets stocked with a lot of fish through out the season. AGain, move around.

It is harder to catch fish from shore than from a boat (that's another tip!)

Good luck,
Jim

E
eggs
harriet from the bank you need to scale down the hill down closer to the damn to get into some deeper water..

L
Left Bank
eggs said:
harriet from the bank you need to scale down the hill down closer to the damn to get into some deeper water..

x2. It's also that time of year when they will go lower during the afternoons to avoid the warmer water. My recommendation for Harriet is as close to the bank as possible and either moring or evening.

G
Growbug
We've had a weird year so far when it comes to weather. A lot of the mountain / snow fed rivers and creeks are only just now warming up and showing signs on trout. Yeah, they have been there, and still are, but they've been sluggish, especially in the rivers. Water temps are now on the rise.
Jeez, the Molalla (my local) was STILL getting snow melt 4 weeks ago.

O
OnTheFly
There is no warm water in Harriet Lake. There are always fish there and they can be caught any time of the day. I agree that the lake can be stingy at times but it's got nothing to do with the stocking schedule. If bait and lures fail to produce, try the bobber and fly method. Trust me. ;)

A
adambomb
I'd go back to your roots and fish the rivers and creeks, I have a special little spot outside of McMinnville where I've caught 30 in a couple hours, with just one spinner creek1.jpg

Last edited:
S
skunk
I've had quite a bit of success on the clack this year for trout. Mostly just before dark, when the buggies come out I get a lot of nice dry fly action. Smaller trout, but at least I get something for all the work.

O
OnTheFly
skunk said:
I've had quite a bit of success on the clack this year for trout. Mostly just before dark, when the buggies come out I get a lot of nice dry fly action. Smaller trout, but at least I get something for all the work.

No better way to catch them.:cool:

S
strawberry shortcake
I too have to work harder to find fish in the Wallowa. The melt was so "river bottom changing" this year with lots of silt and gravel filling in once prime fishing holes. However, where one hole is filled in, another one is created. I have been walking the banks on both sides looking for holes that might show up once the river recedes. I caught a fish in one of my previous holes but let it go. This year, so far, I have let far more fish go than the ones I have kept. Too small.