Lakes Silverton Reservoir Fishing Reports

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
Had a good day of fishing out on Silverton Reservoir. They were loving my homemade spinner for the first part then had no interest. Then all the bites were on the 1.5 Maglips. I think I had just caught it from a stocking but I will take the dumb luck.

Silverton Reservoir Fishing Reports

Reactions: Ultramepps, troutdude and Admin
P
playhooky
Thanks for the report! Are those two bigger bows brood stock or hold-overs .... or could you tell?

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
I would say they were probably recent stocking Trophies. They were only 15 and 17.5. So not a brooder.

P
playhooky
Agreed .... they appear to be stockers. Thanks.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice catch. Looks like a profitable outing to me!

P.S. I can't recall the last time that anyone posted about Silverton reservoir. So thanks for the report.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
What is the difference between a brooder and stocked? I've caught 20"-24" trout in Lost Lake and I'm pretty sure they are all stocked

Reactions: Alan
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
The difference in a brood stock trout and a stocked trout is a brood stocked trout has been used to breed steelhead or rainbow trout for many years. They are typically 3-10 lbs and most of the time considered a steelhead and not a rainbow trout.

That is my understanding of it @nikita_pdx.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Thanks đź‘Ť

M
Muhak Mountain

Silverton Reservoir fishing​

Silverton Reservoir was stocked a few times during the lockdown and so had thousands of stockers ready to go.
I've been using it as an easy getaway from Salem since reopening.
Kastmasters and wedding rings trolled pretty much anywhere have been my go to with 15-20 fish caught and released each time out there.
There is a good variety of bird life there including a newish (?) bald eagle and a few ospreys.
The easy fishing and nice location makes the 30 minute drive a minor inconvenience.
An added benefit would be the lack of garbage, crime, and an occasional dead body found in Walter Wirth.

A couple things: (please correct anything wrong here)
  • ODFW doesn't stock here in the fall.
  • They don't put any of the winter large brooders in here.
  • Spring stocking seems to begin a few weeks after much of the valley.
  • Parking gets tight - I think 4 marked boat trailer spots and a couple in the trees.
  • Deep drop-offs with limited bank fishing
I'm in the yellow tandem (usually alone) Hobie.
Say hi!

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
305to503fishermen said:
The difference in a brood stock trout and a stocked trout is a brood stocked trout has been used to breed steelhead or rainbow trout for many years. They are typically 3-10 lbs and most of the time considered a steelhead and not a rainbow trout.That is my understanding of it .

Only a trout over 20" in a stream would be considered a steelhead. And a daily bag limit of 5 harvested fish can only contain 1 trout over 20"; the other 4 all must be under 20'. (Page 42 in the reg book).

Also rainbow brooders are used to raise rainbow trout. Which are not the same as steelhead; which is a different strain of fish.

Maybe @rogerdodger can add to that.

Reactions: 305to503fishermen
bass
bass
Great job!

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
troutdude said:
Only a trout over 20" in a stream would be considered a steelhead. And a daily bag limit of 5 harvested fish can only contain 1 trout over 20"; the other 4 all must be under 20'. (Page 42 in the reg book).

Also rainbow brooders are used to raise rainbow trout. Which are not the same as steelhead; which is a different strain of fish.

Maybe @rogerdodger can add to that.

I stand corrected.

The Florida boy in me still has plenty of learning to do about the NW fishing.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
No worries man. I have the advantage as a 6th generation Oregonian. But I still have to read the reg's more than once, from time to time. To make sense out of them.

B
BrandonBeach
Went to Silverton Reservoir this morning. Got there 7am ish, was crowded and lucky to find a parking spot. I caught a couple for 4 hours fishing. Looked like I did better then most. Talked to a few boats with none at all. Saw a few caught off the bank.

Looks like the fishing there has dropped off.

BB

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen

Silverton Reservoir fishing report, Jun 22, 2020​

I went Friday evening and caught mine and my brother's limits in about 3 hours. No huge ones but some decent 10"-14" ones.

I was using my homemade pink worm lure with two green beads and a moon glow wild wings behind a Mack Dodger. I could not keep them off that lure. Then the other two rods had maglips on it. They were getting bite consistently but nothing like the pink worm.

How deep were you trolling @BrandonBeach. I would say my lures were no more than a couple feet from the surface.