Should you be quiet when fishing?

F
Fleadog
Are you kidding?

Are you kidding?

I have been taking my kids fishing for about three years now and they start the rock and stick throwin after about two minutes and that has never stopped a hungry cutthroat yet. Fish on dude.

H
Hawk
When i'm fishin' fer bass in shallow water along the shoreline i try to be quiet..................:D:D.....................:cool::cool:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Make a joyful noise...

Make a joyful noise...

Dichrofisher said:
That proves Mokai's famous fish call, "Here trouts, heeeeere troutinskis, troutsi, troutsis." End Quote:D

Haha! Glad to hear I'm not the only loon on the lake. :lol: I do the same thing whether I'm fishing for trout or bass or steel. My son says I sound like a drunk auctioneer...I say it's good for the soul to talk to the critters. I do have a problem with the ones who bring their doggy down to the water ten feet from me and start throwing sticks in for them to fetch. I have been sweet,informative,even confrontational trying to convince them to go elsewhere. Seems each tactic works for certain folks. Mostly,I reel in and have a seat with my coffee and wait them out. I just know their arm will give out before the dog's love of icy water will. My daughter's lab will take a running leap off a dock into frozen water to play. Mind you, he may have to make three or four leaps to break through the ice,but he LOVES water and is one determined dog. He isn't around when I fish...can you imagine the view from the fishes viewpoint? :shock: Must look like the Spruce Goose coming in to gobble them all up. :lol:
Be safe.
Barb
Be safe.

Troutski
Troutski
Directions...

Directions...

mlw said:
I like the theory that it is pretty noisy underwater, and agree that noise made in the water (wading, splashing, dropping something in a boat) are more problematic than talking, etc.

I like being quiet on the water for another reason - it improves the fishing experience. Its like how you want a crowd at a golf tournament - quiet. If I am quiet I can hear the birds, or the splash of a fish, etc and feel more part of the river.

I also have a pet peeve - powerbait users that slap the water with their hook to remove the powerbait. - I've seen several folks do this, including a fishing buddy (soon to be former fishing buddy if he keeps it up) and it drives me nuts.

Michael

If you read the instructions on the glass gars, not sure if it is on the new plastic ones but on the old glass ones; check it out. That is how they say to remove the bait at the end of the day, actually they say to "fling" the bait into the water.
I guess it means we won't be angling together, I admit I am that guy...but I stand by the directions on the jar...;)

Chuck

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I would have to say yes. I try to be as quiet as I can. I always hate it when my wife is yelling from our camping spot while I'm fishing the bank at Wickiup and my wife thinks I'm ignoring her. And it seems she forgets every time we go camping.

M
mikeredding
TTFishon said:
I would have to say yes. I try to be as quiet as I can. I always hate it when my wife is yelling from our camping spot while I'm fishing the bank at Wickiup and my wife thinks I'm ignoring her. And it seems she forgets every time we go camping.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I think I heard her when I was camping up there!

M
Michael
18406ej said:
I have to admit, the book that I used as my resource was an older tome from the Salem library. An internet search as I desperately tried to prove my point seems to favor mikeredding's theory that voices DO carry underwater, to some degree. I say that we meet up at the hatchery and yell at fish just to be sure that I am wrong.

Maybe we should play loud music and laughter AT the hatchery to train the fish not to be scared of those noises... then we can be as loud as we want. :)

T
the_intimidator03
well... i find the sound drives ME off before the fish lol. as for the powerbait removal.. ill cast out a bit then jerk back like im setting the hook a time or two and the powerbait is usually gone... :-D drives me nuts them water slappers to remove powerbait or weeds