Should I head to the canal or the pond

F
Fast Eddie
I am just wondering if people think I would have better luck fly fishing at Alton-Baker or Junction City Pond over the next couple days before it starts raining. again.

troutdude
troutdude
They're both probably pretty much fished out, by now. But, ABC canal has a lot of water to cover. That's what I do, with those 2 choices.

G
grampa ron
The rain won't change anything. JCP still has nice fish in it, they are just harder to catch. ABC is a waste of time.

troutdude
troutdude
Eddie; Grampa Ron really knows his stuff about both places. I'm going to change what I said--and recommend what he wrote.

B
bran_man
Alton baker is really only good the day of and possibly the next couple days after stocking day. and they have not stocked it in a couple weeks. junction city will be on the slower side of action, but should have some fish in there. if you are not too focused on actually catching fish and more want to just get out, than I would suggest abc. but if you were wanting a better chance at catching a fish I would try jcp. there WILL be a crowd there though. always seems to be a buzz out there even when it hasn't been stocked for a while. (They usually stock both abc. and jcp. in the same week or alternating weeks)

R
rippin fish lips
Go to Jcp. Alton baker is fished out for sure. Hit it the day of and 2-3 days after they stock ab!

BTW They stock jcp next wednesday. I am sure they will do an unsceduled stock in AB on thursday but not sure

Last edited:
M
mctholm
rippin fish lips said:
BTW They stock jcp next wednesday.

Do you know how many are going in?

T
Throbbit _Shane
mctholm said:
Do you know how many are going in?

It wouldnt be worth the drive from Roseburg.

M
mahmichael
I went to JCP three days ago and it was SLOWWW! I was there from 8 AM to noon. Among me and probably 20 other people, only two fish were caught! There were 4 fly fishermen too!
I ended up regretting! You can see big trout swimming close to the bank but they don't bite anything! Around noon one guy snagged one of those big ones with a spinner! Unbelievable!
It wasn't an accident I saw what he did. He dragged the poor fish to the bank and tried to snag another one! That made me sick and I left the pond. Surprisingly no one said anything and people were cheering him up for the trophy! I just said that's not fair and left!

Anyways, if you want to enjoy fishing, don't go there!

G
grampa ron
If I had been there the cops would have been called. They usually show up fairly quik. I have gotten people busted out there before. It feels good! There is an 800 # on your license.

F
Fast Eddie
I was there when the guy snagged the big fish with the spinner. While they were dragging it back to the car it started spawning and put it's eggs all over the ground. The guy who caught the fish showed up in the van with the words Insane Fishing Posse on the side of it.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Fast Eddie said:
I was there when the guy snagged the big fish with the spinner. While they were dragging it back to the car it started spawning and put it's eggs all over the ground. The guy who caught the fish showed up in the van with the words Insane Fishing Posse on the side of it.

Iv seen that van out there before. It was funny when I seen 3 older gentlemen get in it and drive away.

troutdude
troutdude
Three older CRIMINALS you mean!

Hey Eddie...I confirmed yesterday w/ ODFW...ABC was stocked either Thursday or yesterday (Friday). Time to go!!!

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
Three older CRIMINALS you mean!

Hey Eddie...I confirmed yesterday w/ ODFW...ABC was stocked either Thursday or yesterday (Friday). Time to go!!!

JC was stoked Wednesday with 300 pounders and some larger. ABC was stocked Thursday around 12:00 - 1:00 with 800 pounders/lager. There is 2 pounders in there, (18inchers). Number 2 spinners and number 3 spinners will catch em pretty good. Slow and deep. Rainbow thomas in the 1/4oz, retrieve it semi-fast.

G
grampa ron
ABC was stocked Thurs. but good luck finding fish now. There are still a lot of fish in JCP tho. They are cold and slow. Everyone should call Alex at ODFW in Corvalis, the biologist that has been ordering the larger fish for JCP, and thank him.

Last edited:
F
Fast Eddie
Anyone having any luck catching any of the new fish they stocked on a fly rod?

R
rhubarb
Fast Eddie said:
Anyone having any luck catching any of the new fish they stocked on a fly rod?

We were out ABC yesterday and my buddy caught a nice fat stocker, I think he was using a minnow, tried several streamers.

G
grampa ron
I caught 4, 2 days ago. They are pretty scattered by now.