She died

J
JeannaJigs
18406ej said:
All I can add is protect your skin and lungs vigorously. Wear a good mask or respirator, tape your shirt cuffs down, and wear good gloves. The worst experience of my life (other than insulating under my house) was the painful rash caused by the fiberglass dust and fibers.

Good luck Jeanna!

Yikes very good to know!

M
mlw
Jeanna - this should be an easy and pretty non-toxic repair. Fiberglass cloth is not itchy like insulation, unless you are sanding the cloth itself, which you shouldn't have to do. Use Epoxy Resin - not plastic "fiberglass" resin - epoxy resin has no solvents, doesn't smell bad, and is about as non-toxic as you can get. Do not use fiberglass resin. Jerrys has fiberglass cloth. Crosscut Hardwoods has System III epoxy resin, and in smaller quantities. Have a couple layers of cloth cut, mix your epoxy (careful about the ratio of resin to hardener, and mix for a full two minutes, you probably will not need more than 1/2 cup of resin for a small repair, but if you need more, mix a second batch, rather than 1 larger batch. Once you have everything ready, should not take more than 1/2 hr. Clean the area up, sand lightly. Brush or spread a layer of epoxy, lay your fiberglass on it, and use a plastic throw away putty knife or similar to press the glass into the epoxy. Repeat. You want to use enough resin to wet out the fiberglass, but not a bunch extra. I am getting close on my boat building project, so have been doing a bunch of this.
Michael

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah thats exactly how we did it the one time i have done fiberglass work. If you want some help i could roll over and help out this weekend and get my whatchamacallit from you. and maybe look under the hood of your dads motor so i can make a wiring diagram and get my wires back in the right spots.

J
JeannaJigs
Leavin' work soon to go investigate materials. Andy, I got your watchamacallit, gonna be around tonight? I'm gonna be in the spring of tucky tonight, so could drop it by. I could get you a copy of the mercury manual later this week also, has all that stuff in it... I'll let ya know if I need help. Think I can do it...but, time will tell lol.

T
Thuggin4Life
i wont be home from 530 until 9 ish but you could just put it on my porch. on the left side of the motor when standing behind the prop there are a bunch of green wire conectors with wires coming out of them. i need to know the colors of the wires and the locations of them. all mine don't clip onto the motor like the should.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
i wont be home from 530 until 9 ish but you could just put it on my porch. on the left side of the motor when standing behind the prop there are a bunch of green wire conectors with wires coming out of them. i need to know the colors of the wires and the locations of them. all mine don't clip onto the motor like the should.

Well i'll drop it off since I've had it forever, and keep forgetting it 'cause it's in the garage and i never go out there. I'll check out the wiring diagram later, not gonna have time today, but, in the next day or so i'll check it out.

T
Thuggin4Life
cool thanks sounds like a plan i just pmed ya before i seen this

G
GDBrown
NO Body Shops Please111111

NO Body Shops Please111111

Hawk said:
Sis,
If you have a junior college in your area that has Body Shop Classes. ask the instructor if someone in the class can repair your boat.
Years ago we did repairs 'free', or cost of material.
:D

Stay AWAY from the body shop..... You have a boat not a car they aren't fixed the same way!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

I may be able to come help you, I don't want to see you regret what you do.... I have the stuff and can help you do it Right.... and No BEER!!! Well maybe a rootbeer. PM me if you are interested. Maybe we could make a class out of it if others wanted to come and have a BBQ while we work..

Gene

D
DirectDrive
If you Google West System Fiberglas Repair you will find a couple of Youtube videos that illustrate the importance of a multi layer repair to match existing thickness and how to do it.
Don't go crazy with a jig saw for your small repair but do try to eliminate the fractured (compromised) area and a drill to stop any fractures.

If you "bandaid" over the damaged area it will be a temporary fix.

G
GDBrown
DirectDrive said:
......If you "bandaid" over the damaged area it will be a temporary fix.

That's for sure. That's what happens at a body shop!!!! You can imagine what the kids would do........

An oldtimer taught me how to use acetone to seal the crack and feather the damage to increase the bonding of the old and new glass fibers. His repairs were hardly noticeable and never failed to hold. He was a genius when it came to glass work.

GD

L
lilsalmon
Jeanna...just got back from the Deschutes (we soooo got stormed out)...So sorry to hear about your drift boat....Never done it before but I am still unemployed and own an air compressor (can't remember what you needed that for) I am pretty good at learning new things or just supervising and handing you tools..Sorry, I don't need my blood drawn though...:D

J
JeannaJigs
GDBrown said:
Stay AWAY from the body shop..... You have a boat not a car they aren't fixed the same way!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

I may be able to come help you, I don't want to see you regret what you do.... I have the stuff and can help you do it Right.... and No BEER!!! Well maybe a rootbeer. PM me if you are interested. Maybe we could make a class out of it if others wanted to come and have a BBQ while we work..

Gene

I might take you up on that offer! My week just got hectic and I don't know when I'm going to have time to get it done, definitely not this weekend, but sometime in the near future. I will PM you when i figure out what's goin' on. Thanks everyone for the input.

J
JeannaJigs
lilsalmon said:
Jeanna...just got back from the Deschutes (we soooo got stormed out)...So sorry to hear about your drift boat....Never done it before but I am still unemployed and own an air compressor (can't remember what you needed that for) I am pretty good at learning new things or just supervising and handing you tools..Sorry, I don't need my blood drawn though...:D

Sooner or later, everyone needs their blood drawn...lol.

I'll let ya know, bunch of stuff just came up, and my life has become extremely unecessarily complicated. ugh. so. someday, i'll have a floating boat again lol.

on a side note, i fished the upper deschutes this weekend with my fly rod, and got skunked. except for a salamander...that i hooked in the eyeball..I felt somewhat bad...

M
Mad dog
Hmmm....I see a new boat name!

The Pheonix!!! I'm sure this boat will rise from the ashes and be reborn!

Have faith!!!

M
Mad dog
Also, I have a fiberglass duck boat that has been patched and repaired soooo many times in it's lifetime it isn't even funny! It can be fixed no problem! I'll offer any help I can! I need to get to Eugene to see my folks as it is, let me know if I can help.

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks :) I'll keep all of you great people that have offered assistance informed, when I get time to get around to fixing her...Had some big complications come up, but, in a couple weeks I should have the time to get around to having time to do it.

J
JeannaJigs
So apparently, a friend of mine went out and bought all the stuff to fix it, and is gonna work on it this weekend while I'm too busy to. This potentially scares me, but what the heck...can't hurt...right? Right. I'll let ya'll know how it works out, or doesn't work out...whichever.

Edit: This guy ended up having NO CLUE WHATSOEVER how to do this...less of a clue than I do...so nope, he did not work on it.

Last edited:
F
FISHHEADMAFIA
you dont want to repair poly (polyester) resin with epoxy . your boat was built using old school poly resin . which is just fine . not really a good idea to repair it with epoxy . besides , poly is more affordable . and , years ago , with the discovery of fiberglass as a material for boat building , poly was all that was used for 30 - 40 years . and it still is today by many builders.. plenty of old poly boats still floating .
you do want to repair the crack/fracture/split , weather it is on the bottom , or the sides , on BOTH sides . this is simply done to retain structural integrity of the hull/bottom/even the rowing and seat benches .
i am sure someone on the forum has the know how to do a quality patch job for you . i have done quite a bit of glassing , and would love the chance , but i think there is a distance issue , other wise your boat would be good as new .

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Okkkk guys, who wants some free drifts this winter? I got tuesday and thursday off this week, and was going to fix the boat myself, but, after reviewing some videos, i'm sketched out lol, not to mention, i'm not sure I have the necessary tools. I also filled 'er up with water to pin point exactly where it was leaking from, and it wasn't where I expected it to be, and there's two leaks. After crawling under the trailer, I've discovered that a patch is definitely needed, but next summer it's gonna need some gluv it or something to reinforce and protect the bottom better, it's tore up, the paints peeling, what i assume to be the gel coat is cracked and peeling....she needs some work. In the mean time though, I just need her to float without leaks for one more winter steelhead season, and if I don't get a move on it's gonna be too late to get her fixed, and, i may cry.

I can pay someone to do it, I just don't have a lot of money to take it and get it done at a repair shop. I want it done right, and after consideration, decided, I probably can't do it right. I can buy everything needed, just don't know what all is needed...the guy at jerry's was pretty much useless and said "why do women have boats?" REALLY? not gonna go there...

I can tow it wherever needed. Just need some help :( I'm in over my head. :( And it sucks :(

:( one more for added effect.

I'd like to learn how to do this so that I can do it right the next time by myself.

I have pictures, but it's kinda hard to see anything, even with the sharpie circles.