Shad in Oregon

A
a-mac
I'm not sure about the life cycle of American shad, but in Indiana we have non-native gizzard shad. When I was working in Indiana for the DNR (dept. of natural resources) as a fisheries assistant we had a first had look at how devastating gizzard shad can be. In one of my final lake reports, a small lake had shad put in 4 years earlier. Sampling revealed that the bluegill fishery had collapsed (was 1/5 its size) and that no bluegill were over 6" (they were up to 10")... this was one year after shad introduction. The bass in the lake exhibited population declines and was 1/4 its original population after 4 years. However, the bass that remained were larger due to reduced population levels and food abundance. The reason why the populations of both species declined was because of direct competition with shad for zooplankton. Bass and bluegill fry were out competed by the efficiency of the shad's filter feeding mechanism. So the question exists, "why do bluegill experience stunted growth while the bass grow large?" Well, bass begin to target shad instead of bluegill. So, in this case at least, the now low bluegill numbers are actually too high for bluegill to forage due to the high shad biomass.

Keep in mind that no 2 lakes are the same. But from almost every journal I've read, gizzard shad have destroyed bluegill populations almost immediately after their introduction... in the midwest.

So yeah, this reply has nothing to do with the american shad... just a little info and a caution to keep gizzard shad out!

P
pdxstruve
Hi all.

Just chatted with ODFW and they are opening the Shad fishing back up again this Thursday from Tongue Point up to Bonneville Dam. Does anyone know if the Shad numbers are high enough to grab any action at Bonneville this early? Was going to hit it this weekend, but though I would check with you all to see if it would be a wasted trip. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P
pdxstruve
Thanks! I will keep track. At what number do you recommend heading out to fish for them then?

T
Toyracer38
I would say you got a chance to catch them on Thursday. Better odds when your seeing like 10k plus going over the dam. Last year 3,751,375 Shad went over Bonne.

P
pdxstruve
Damn. That is a load of fish. Thanks again for the info!

T
Toyracer38
Yep, I would imagine the fish counters dread Shad season! lol

O
OnTheFly
You can also pick up shad in Oregon City in the Willamette just upstream from the Clackamas. When I had my boat, it was an annual thing for me to do to stock up on crab bait for the fall. Here's the setup I used and don't forget to add a drop of herring or sardine oil to your jig.

ShadRig.jpg

P
pdxstruve
thanks for the tip!

F
fphowell
Whoa now, i was hoping you would be the guinea pig, so I wouldn't waste a trip! :worthy:

Just kiddin', I did see the count is now at about 6100 as of 6/18, so for me the numbers are too low.

P
pdxstruve
Ha! Think I am going to head out to Bonneville on Friday afternoon and toss some new jigs I have been tying. Will positively give a report after.