Section 6 is hot!

S
sportsmanlio
Very nice! I need to get back up there...maybe on the way back from Baker City this weekend. My little brother is playing in the Shrine Football Game, so hopefully I can make a detour through that area!

J
joesnuffy
I'm headed this direction this weekend... I might have to stop and get a line wet.....

What # rod should i use? 4 - 6 - 8?

J
joesnuffy
What about the "Little Deschutes River"? seems like it would be less out of the way on my drive.

F
FlyBum
I just use my 4wt. but you could use a 6, but it wouldn't be as much fun!!! :) The Little D, well, I don't fish it. Doesn't appeal to me and seems more of a slough, and haven't heard anything about any good fishing, at all. That doesn't mean you can't check it out, but I think you will be disappointed.

J
joesnuffy
Well that sucks! I've got to figure out my schedule for the trip. I Might not have time to fish on the way over anyways :(

but lots of time when i get to where i'm going :)

S
sportsmanlio
I don't know FlyBum, I've fished the Little Deschutes every year for about 6 years, and we always do pretty well. If you stay around Crescent and Gilchrist, the water is clear and fast-moving. The advantage of the Little Deschutes is that bait is legal. Though I've never tried it here, a grasshopper floated on the surface with a tiny hook through it can land you some of the nice browns that hang out under the undercut banks.

We usually fish the Little Deschutes, Crescent Creek, Hemlock Creek, and a few more small streams up there during the bow season opener. We fish the middle of the day and hunt mornings and evenings. The confluence of Hemlock Creek and the Little Deschutes is one of the only places I know of where you can catch Redbands, Brookies, and Browns without moving.

Still, I usually only catch fish in the 6-14" range, but you catch a lot of em. I would advise against using bait, because it usually kills the fish. Expect about 10 fish an hour.

F
FlyBum
Hence the "No Bait" at the bottom of my posts. I don't like to see any use of bait I guess that's why I stay away form "those" places. Go ahead and use it WHERE IT IS LEGAL all too often I see people on the Upper D with a can of worms. Glad I have the State Fish and Game number on the phone. I just take a picture of them using bait and a picture of their license plate and call the Officers. That's one thing I'll be happy to do for you!

S
sportsmanlio
Got it. I totally agree with you FlyBum. My friend is a cop, and I have the OSP and the Klamath Falls City Police numbers in my phone to turn in poachers if I have to. I see people fishing with worms at my native Klamath River all the time--pisses me off! I will have to remember the camera idea...good call!

As for me, I only bait fish for trout where it is legal and where I plan on keeping the fish. PowerBait in lakes accounts for most of this, but I have used grasshoppers in rivers and streams where legal. A mess of brookies can be a nice treat roasted on the campfire!

F
fishing man
ive fished on crescent creek all my life and ive gotten some descent cutthroats and brookies off blue fox spinners, small minister twisters, and pink jigs. i have a cabin up there so we go up all the time. i also like fishing on big marsh creek and refrigerator creek.

S
sportsmanlio
I am very jealous! We always fish the little streams there, too, and in addition to the ones you mentioned, we like Hemlock Creek and Rabbit Creek. Mowich is just such a pretty area near the streams!

S
steelhead_slayer
anyone know how the mosquitos are up there?