Searun spoon saga

C_Run
C_Run
I know I have already mentioned how last year I got into using spoons for steelhead after studying Herzog's book and began to finally have some success. I also recalled how a friend some years back, before I started fishing, showed me his homemade spoons made from spoons he collected. So, with the wheels turning, I picked up three silver plated spoons at thrift stores this past year and set them aside for future spoon making. They were junk and cost about $1 each. During the big rains recently I decided to fabricate the spoons. I'll say you don't need to be Thomas Edison to do this. You need a drill, a hacksaw, and a file plus the spoons, some split rings, barrel swivels, and some big old Siwash hooks. That's it.

D708a.jpg

Cut off the handles and drill big enough holes for the split rings to move freely. Use the file to clean up burrs. Attach the rings, hook, and swivel. Make sure the hook faces the concave side of the spoon. Here is a picture of one of the small ones next to some common commercial spoons.

57eRC.jpg

Here are the finished spoons. The big one is going to be a "salmon" spoon. I experimented with hammering one of them with a nail set. That did not go well as the spoon was very soft and it just made it look beat up. I also screwed up the first hole I drilled which is why the one has an extra hole out of place. Why "Searun"? I have a little set of number and letter dies and hammered the word "Searun" on the concave side of the one with the extra hole where it usually says "Steelie".

5tbuX.jpg

They look clunky and industrial like something out of the old Soviet Union. I intended to dress them up with paint and lure tape but, with the season running out I thought I better get out and do the field test as-is.

THE FIELD TEST 4/5/2012

I went to the heart of the coast range and only took the really beat up spoon with the extra hole in addition to the usual bobber rod and a bunch of Cleos and Steelies. Since I just had the one home made one along and since I usually lose a lot of gear on the bottom, my test was to be to only use it in holes where I had not lost gear before and had caught fish last year. Early on, I fished the first hole with the bobber and pink worm and a small Cleo for about 45 minutes with no bites. I then switched to the "Searun". I felt the Cleo wasn't getting down and the water was a bit off colored. The Searun was very heavy by comparison and sank fast and was very flashy. You feel the throb much stronger than with the commercial spoons because of the shape. On about the 5th cast it was fish-on briefly. A nice sized steelhead came out of the water and spit the hook. Needless to say I was encouraged. I never got another bite there so I moved on to hole number two. About the third cast produced this native.

iC1kw.jpg

OK,OK...Busted...It was foul-hooked in the chin but I am counting it anyway. It twisted and the hook fell off (I got it back). I had not closed the gap on the Siwash enough and did not have pliers to fix it on the spot, only hemostats on me, so that was the end of the test. So live and learn.

CONCLUSION

You can make an effective spoon out of old silver spoons just don't use Grandma's good stuff. It is very satisfying to feel that bone-jarring hit on a spoon you've made yourself. My next project is to make kokanee jigs out of the handles. If that works, I'll let you all know.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I think you might be able to make spoons out of the handles too. Thanks for sharing!!! Oh yeah and nice fish!!!!

T
tomriker
NICE! my grandma makes "crafts" out of the handles.. and there's a 5 gallon bucket full of spoon heads layin around the shop... when you come fishin' you'll have to pick some out to play with

brandon4455
brandon4455
very nice. beautiful steelhead too

J
jawjacker
Your taking hard core spoon fishing to the next level. That's awesome ya got one on that home made contraption first trip out as the season is winding down. What size hooks did you put on those bad boys? It's hard to tell in the pictures but they look a little small maybe & not off set. Take your pliers your never gona forget again and bend the hook point slightly to the side and it will help you hook up & keep um buttoned. Other than that looks great keep up the good work.

R
RunWithSasquatch
About as cool as it gets...

Nice stuff.

troutdude
troutdude
Right on man. Excellent report and experiment!

C_Run
C_Run
tomriker said:
NICE! my grandma makes "crafts" out of the handles.. and there's a 5 gallon bucket full of spoon heads layin around the shop... when you come fishin' you'll have to pick some out to play with

Sounds good. I'll have to do business with your grandma for some of those before she starts making fishing lures on the side.:D

Jawjacker- Those were 1/0 Gamakatsu, I believe. Anyway, they were the biggest ones I had on hand. Thanks for the reminder about bending the hook. I had read that before but never put it into practice but I think it's time to do that, too. That first fish I lost was a BIG one.

D
DYJ
That's Awesome... and they work!

J
jawjacker
Ya I'd probably go up a size mabe 2 on the salmon slayers. I think I might dink around with some of those my self. They might make a sweet andy gump spinner on steroids as well. We'll see.

C_Run
C_Run
April 10, 2012 Update

April 10, 2012 Update

For anyone who is still looking at this thread, I did what Jawjacker suggested. I swapped the hook for a 2/0 and bent all the hooks on all my spoons a couple of degrees sideways before I left the house today. I think the bigger hook is a good idea because the spoon has a pretty wide profile. I got this nate with the Searun.

Z0xmq.jpg

Unfortunately, I eventually lost the lure but still have the other two. I plan to make more for next year if I can get more raw materials because they sure work. But so do Steelies and Cleos. It was three for three today on spoons-went home early. Thanks for the tips Jawjacker.

FPTsb.jpg

HM3id.jpg

One more observation on the home made spoons was that they are quite loud and musical when you shake them by the hook compared to Cleos, Steelies, and Krocodiles. They all rattle and make little dinging sounds but the home made ones are much louder. Maybe there is some audio element to the way they work , too. That's my new theory.

Last edited:
R
rippin fish lips
Nice report and art work C_run! I think i am going to try that on the mac this year for summers. I will also grind them down to a "longer" looking profile like a cleo but with different angles. It would still be waited just enough to get down. Another way to say it, is to "grind" the spoon to 1/2" - 1" wide if layed flat on the table. Then you could get away with using the smaller hooks. But I will steel this idea from you if you dont mind :p and will see if i can get my self one in a new world of "spoon fishing."

J
jawjacker
No problem C_Run thanks for the post. Next time my wife drags me into Goodwill I'll be on a mission rummaging through old silverware looking for some prospects rather than following her around looking at over priced bull crap.

M
Mark1983
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I just started making some of these, and I discovered that if you pound the spoons with a rubber mallet, the front will start to flatten, leaving a nice cup in the back (kind of like a Daredevle). Also, the rubber mallet won't dent the spoon or ruin the finish. Just set the spoons concave side down on a hard surface (I used the concrete floor of my garage) and pound the hell out of them for a while. At first you may have to retrieve the spoons after every whack (they bounce), but that's much better than hitting your thumb and getting blood blisters on both sides like I did. The bouncing will get better though and eventually you will notice stretch marks along the edges where the metal is starting to change shape. Next the edge between the cup and the flattened front will begin to appear. After this it's up to you how much you want to shape it.

You can also make some nice spoons, especially jigging spoons, out of the handles. I included some pictures below. The first 3 show the shape of the spoons that I was pounding with the mallet, because it's kind of hard to see. Then I have handle spoons. The smallest of these I'm going to try for panfish and trout. If they don't work, I'll just use them as clickers on a larger spoon, and I've already gotten two spoons out of the original utensil! The last picture is of all of the spoons I am currently working on. After testing how these swim, I intend to paint some, mostly the more tarnished or dented ones and leave the shiny ones shiny, and maybe add some dressings to a few more.

C_Run
C_Run
You're the man , Mark! That's what I had in mind for the handles but I never got that far yet. I think I saw someone else beating them flatter on a video once. Thanks for posting. What kinds of fish have you gotten with them? I'm getting my electroplating set up going now. About ready to give that a shot now.

C

Last edited:
M
Mark1983
Quick note: if you're pounding smaller spoons with a mallet it goes a lot faster. I started with some tablespoons, one of which was quite thick, and it took forever. I just did a teaspoon and it only took a few whacks. Be careful, because you can make it lopsided and then you have to flatten it even more trying to even it out.

I haven't actually gotten to try them out yet. The weather hasn't been cooperating, which is why I have so much time on my hands. But this weekend it finally warmed up a little so I'm going to try a lake with some crappie, walleye, and bass tomorrow, and then there is a trout pond that I will have to visit Sunday or Monday. Let me know how the electroplating turns out.

Reactions: FishFinger
T
troutmasta
Looks like we will be eating with forks around here for a while-

M
Mark1983
I tested these this weekend. Did you have any problems with spoons that spin more than wobble, even at very slow speeds? Trailers seem to help, but I would prefer not to have to put trailers on all of them. Maybe deeper cups will help? I also thought I would try grinding a few of them down to make them thinner.
Not surprisingly, no luck on Saturday, but I spent more time testing how the spoons swam than actually fishing. Sunday at the trout pond I had a few follows, but quickly lost the only two spoons that were small enough for this pond (anything over 10 inches is unusual). I intend to go back soon though, because an older guy was catching a few on commercially made spoons in the 1/8 oz size.

C_Run
C_Run
Mark1983 said:
I tested these this weekend. Did you have any problems with spoons that spin more than wobble, even at very slow speeds? Trailers seem to help, but I would prefer not to have to put trailers on all of them. Maybe deeper cups will help? I also thought I would try grinding a few of them down to make them thinner.
Not surprisingly, no luck on Saturday, but I spent more time testing how the spoons swam than actually fishing. Sunday at the trout pond I had a few follows, but quickly lost the only two spoons that were small enough for this pond (anything over 10 inches is unusual). I intend to go back soon though, because an older guy was catching a few on commercially made spoons in the 1/8 oz size.

Generally, they have been wobbling fine. Sometimes the real wide ones will spin if you retrieve them too fast. So far I have not tried to flatten mine at all but have picked certain styles that seem to work. I have mainly used teaspoon sized ones and there seems to be a teardrop shape and a wide oval shape. Weights seem to vary a lot even though they look the same.

B
bigboy70
the hobby for a hobby lol

the hobby for a hobby lol

ok crun this is the other thread where i shoulda put this picture lol. havent tryed it out yet but how do yall tie on those bang tails i have chickens and a lot of feathers i saved a bunch from my favorite roo (getting into fly fishing and tying as well)

the ones i did test i lost and i didn't have a clue how to fish with a spoon heard it was effective and i knew i could make them did in boy scout as a kid. and i was fishing way way to fast of water they were spinning. i read the same book and know understand how and why they work this has helped with my new designs working on a few will post when have them done waiting for it to warm up a lil shop has no heat......

this spoon i went after a 2/5 lil cleo design all hand shaped no templete me a pedistal grinder and a ball peen hammer oh and scotch bright this is the finished product lil cleo is left and mine is on the right

NCM_0231_zps5a6071f5.jpg