Searun spoon saga

E
eugene1
Your home job looks killer!

Hope it is,

Best,

bigboy70 said:
ok crun this is the other thread where i shoulda put this picture lol. havent tryed it out yet but how do yall tie on those bang tails i have chickens and a lot of feathers i saved a bunch from my favorite roo (getting into fly fishing and tying as well)

the ones i did test i lost and i didn't have a clue how to fish with a spoon heard it was effective and i knew i could make them did in boy scout as a kid. and i was fishing way way to fast of water they were spinning. i read the same book and know understand how and why they work this has helped with my new designs working on a few will post when have them done waiting for it to warm up a lil shop has no heat......

this spoon i went after a 2/5 lil cleo design all hand shaped no templete me a pedistal grinder and a ball peen hammer oh and scotch bright this is the finished product lil cleo is left and mine is on the right

[/URL]

B
bigboy70
thanks eugene i hope the steelies like it too

1 nut in the water
That looks sweeeeeeeeet! How much time you got into it? You may just want to go swimming if it gets hung up!

M
Mark1983
bigboy70 said:
how do yall tie on those bang tails i have chickens and a lot of feathers i saved a bunch from my favorite roo (getting into fly fishing and tying as well)

If you're already tying flies, then tying tails is basically the same thing. This is a link to a site that I referred to. It's more for tying bucktails for musky, but it's basically the same thing with a larger hook and heavier thread. I use a combination of chicken feathers, along with duck, turkey, and goose feathers given to me by hunters, and deer tails. Most people just throw these out, so they don't mind giving them away. Also, if you just type something like "tying tails for spoons/spinners" into Google.com, I'm sure you'll find something. Tails also help to prevent spoons from spinning.

B
bigboy70
thanks for the link mark and free materials always a bonus.

1 nut lol its the same spoon just wanted to put it by the lil cleo for comparsion and time wise prob 20 mins start to finish and that was me figuring out the easy way. getting everything setup is what took along time.

W
WildRivers
I made a couple of trout-sized spoons from infant spoons I picked up at a garage sale and they work quite well on (sorry, C-Run) searun cutties. These are solid sterling silver spoons and after the hole for the swivel is drilled, I take a 1/2 inch dowel, place it over the hole, and whack it until I've flattened the spoon at that spot to make it a bit less active. I did it the first time to "tune" one that was pulling to the right, and noticed that it calmed it down a bit in fast water, so I did it again on the next two.

It seems to me that the more they tarnish and get banged up on rocks, the better they work.

Don't think I'd try solid silver spoons for much more than trout, though. I'd worry about how soft sterling silver can be. Now I'll look for some silver-plated flatware.

Thanks, and nice fish!

C_Run
C_Run
I tried that size spoon last season a bit north of you and found them real effective on the searuns, too. In hunting for old spoons to use, I've had good luck at thrift shops and antique malls. Usually you can find them for under a buck, sometimes way under a buck.