Scents

F
fish face
Just got done reading two kokanee fishing books. Kokanee a complete fishing guide and the Kokanne obsession. Both emphasized the importance of different kinds of scents. I was wondering if anybody is willing to share what they consider the best kind of scent.
FF

D
Drew9870
When it comes to scent, fish will generally feed on something that emits Amino Acids, Proteins, Oils, and Minerals, because these things will benefit the fishes health, all fish have virtually the same Amino Acid and Protein requirements. I don't really believe in scent unless I am catching fish few and far between, if I were fishing for Kokanee and got into a school of them, the last thing I would worry about is scent unless I were fishing my offering motionless. A school of fish is going to create some competition for each fish, so if you jigged a spoon or something in front of a school, about 30-60% of the school is going to race towards the thing because each fish wants it first.

You could probably go to a health food store and get a quality Amino Acid Complex along with fish oil (Cod liver oil is a KILLLLER, did I really just say that out loud), this would be the best start at making a great scent for a variety of species.

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
I done really well on Kokanee with the pautzke krill scent. Some days it's the difference between catching fish and not. Tuna oil with prenatal vitamins work great for me very often as well.

C
capblack
the go to is corn soaked in tuna oil at green peter, but i also use kokanee fuel, anise, shrimp scent, sometimes dye my corn in red, sometimes blue. not sure if any has worked better than others, just know most swear by the tuna oil

C
Cannon
I am a solid believer in scent. I have been using scent for years and because of the results, will continue doing so. In the spring, I prefer ocean scents such as krill, sand shrimp and tuna. As the water warms during summer I go more for the inland scents such as anise, garlic and sweet corn. One of the hottest scents out there right now is vanilla. Combinations in varying degrees work very well, just don't overdo it. If you have ever gotten on an elevator with a person who smelled like a french wh*/re then you know what I am saying. Light scent is good while too much scent is a turn off. For those who don't use scent, more power to you! I love to fish alongside you guys who do not believe :)
Oh and thanks for reading my book!
fish face said:
Just got done reading two kokanee fishing books. Kokanee a complete fishing guide and the Kokanne obsession. Both emphasized the importance of different kinds of scents. I was wondering if anybody is willing to share what they consider the best kind of scent.
FF

Last edited:
F
fish face
Vanilla? Is that by pro-cure?

Anyway, I enjoyed your book as well as the kokanee fishing seminar in Salem. Very informative.

H
halibuthitman
I use to limit out a boat in 2 hours with a can of corn and a coleman lantern... so I imagine corn is a good scent-

C
Cannon
No, I buy my vanilla from Mountain Man. Any pure vanilla will work well. A freind of mine was using vanilla schnaps with good results. I guess if the fish are not biting, all you need to do is drink the scent and all is good...

Reactions: JeannaJigs