Scents, smells and using gloves with steelhead and salmon

H
homerhomer
I have a couple quick questions about cleaning used tackle and gloves

Last year I was using some anise oil on my jigs and I wasn't having any luck. I then switched to a brand new jig, skipped the oil, and second cast ( WHAM! ) fish on. After landing the fish, I was thinking that my other jigs where tainted with the anise oil, old shrimp and egg tippings. So I'm not really sure on how I should be cleaning these used jigs, spoons, corkies and spinners. Do any of you have any pointers on this issue for a guy who doesn't want to buy new tackle each time he goes out.

Oh and do you guys think gloves make a big difference? Latex, vinyl or sheepskin? ( just kidding )

Actually any tips on maintaining tackle would be awesome.

T
Toyracer38
I started thinking about this stuff also this year. I've started using Lemon Joy (non ultra). I put some in a spray bottle with water and use it before handling tackle and bait. I also cut the top off an old gallon milk jug and put some Joy and water in it to soak my lures in after a fishing trip. I'm sure there are things we come in contact with all the time that a fish could smell and be turned off by. Figured it couldn't hurt and I've been doing pretty well inking my tags.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Toyracer is dialed pretty well on the dish detergent, soap your stank gear and freshen it up.

Though I prefer sheepskin, I use gloves more for my protection than the fishes. My hands get ravaged by the goodies in fish bait cures.

Some days I swear I could store my fishing gear in my dirty old work socks, and use the nastiest baits I could find and the fish want to roll over dead and go home with me.

Some days I swear I need to be in a haz-mat suit to keep things clean enough to make them bite.

I think more often then not, I just need to make my casts, and stick my gear in there face and let them react.

Over thinking simple things weights down confidence.

D
dtikey

Agreed on this.I dont wash any of my freshwater gear and dont wear gloves but can still catch a fish every now and then.The only gear I do wash is spinners from saltwater and my reels after fishing saltwater.Its just a fish!!!

B
BlackBass
My advice would be fish the right jig and you will not need shrimp anise or any other for of scent. Typical for the beginning steelhead/salmon angler to want to fish crap on his jigs. Either fish a shrimp or a jig , no need to combine the two .