Saturday 10/29 gorgeous day at Hagg

B
bernduffy
Late arrival at 9am revealed nearly pea soup fog conditions. Visibility at one point was maybe 30 yards. Water temp 59. When fog burned off we had one of the most beautiful fall days imaginable. Blue skies; amazing cloud formations. That fresh autumn air. Very comfortable temps. Just good to be alive, y'know what I mean?

I am still marking good numbers of large trout, especially in the deeper parts of the old channel. They seem to be 20-40 feet down. I caught four legals 8-12" and a half dozen sub legals. Again, I could not seem to keep the little guys off the hook after 5pm. Kinda frustrating. Champ rig of the day: Silver trout killer with e-chip tipped with worm chunk and Berkley crappie nibble, trailing a willow nickel/brass lake troll with 1oz banana weight. Lots of zig-zagging, speed changes and occasional brief cranks seemed to get notice. Once you get a bump/nibble/drive-by, make a brief change in direction, speed or depth, then be patient: that fish is still watching.

Biggest excitement of the day was a tremendous strike that bent rod in half. I set hook with a lip-rippin' pull...began reeling in and had strong play from the monster for about ten seconds...then nothing. Reeled in a broken 8# leader. This is the second time this scenario has played out. It's also what keeps me coming back. As God and OFF are my witness: I will land one of these big trout by season's end. (I probably just jinxed myself...)
About twenty boats, hardly any bankers. The fish are too far out for them. Until the brooders arrive: they cruise the shallows. Everyone I spoke to connected with medium sized trout or bass, but it took time. This is a very patient fishery at this point.
Cheers,
Bernie

Reactions: chris61182
I
idahojeff
Nice report dude.

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like a blast. Be patient and you will be rewarded. lake fishing is fun this time of year when you get there in the dark and see the weather change first hand.

B
bernduffy
Yeah, but that fog was a little scary. I heard a motorized craft heading my way and I'm thinking: dang, I hope they see me with enough time to evade. You best believe I had my PFD zipped up tight. They passed about 50 yard to starboard. Never saw them.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah after a few dark and or foggy trips it gets more familiar. what kind of craft are you in?

H
Hendo30
Thanks for the report, I was out on Saturday myself from 7am to about 10am. I was on the bank and got 2 smaller Bass. It was a beautiful day and a bit of a spooky morning. I was on the bank in fog and a every so often a boat would appear from the fog. I found it pretty cool, I am all for the fog and then a nice burn off to a crisp clear sunny Fall day.

C
catfishman89
I got to the dam in my boat before the fog got thick on saturday. I got a couple bass and around 40 nice sized bluegills. Was having to much fun with the gills to get into any trout. Next time.

H
Hendo30
Nice job catfishman89, if you dont mind me asking....what were to catching all the bluegill on?

B
bernduffy
Welcome to OFF, catishman89! Wow: 40 nice-sized bluegills..thst does sound like busy fun.

B
bernduffy
Thuggin: I MinnKota motor and row a 9 foot pontoon. I'm pretty familiar with Hagg's shore and depths. It's the other guy I worry about in the fog. I suppose I could tow a light house behind me.

BTW: This is the lowest I've seen the lake. A few more feet and boat trailers are going to be in trouble on the ramps.

T
TimberTodd
Congrats on a fun safe day on the water bernduffy. You are correct that water is low low low.
Todd

T
Thuggin4Life
walmart used to sell clip on bow and stern lights that are required when on the water before sunrise and after sunset and during low visabilty conditions such as this heavy fog you were in. might see if the still selkl them. the stopped selling seasense and now the sell attwood boating supplies so who knows. they take 2 d batteries and are like a clip on flashlight. i noticed on my boat i had to stretch the springs evey so often.

C
catfishman89
Hendo30 said:
Nice job catfishman89, if you dont mind me asking....what were to catching all the bluegill on?

I used a small hook with a little piece of worm then put a split shot about a foot above the line. I used about a 1/16 of an oz and just let it sink until i got a hit. Most of the fish were around 20 to 30 feet deep. A got a few around 10 inches but most were about 6 to 8. The school down there is massive. My fish finder was black at times.

B
bernduffy
Thuggin4Life said:
walmart used to sell clip on bow and stern lights that are required when on the water before sunrise and after sunset and during low visabilty conditions such as this heavy fog you were in. might see if the still selkl them. the stopped selling seasense and now the sell attwood boating supplies so who knows. they take 2 d batteries and are like a clip on flashlight. i noticed on my boat i had to stretch the springs evey so often.

Good idea. Especially as the days get shorter, I tend to linger in the dark. "One more cast!"

H
Hendo30
Thanks Catfishman89, and welcome to the best place on earth (no not DisneyLand) the OFF.

H
Hendo30
bernduffy, I couldnt agree more....you have nailed my thinking when I am out at night "I tend to linger in the dark. "One more cast!" ...I find it hard to walk away.

F
fisherofmen
thanks for info on marking fish 20-40 ft down. on nov 1 caught a 17 incher 25 ft down on brass cleo. also a small crappie and perch 40 ft down and all near the dam.

B
bernduffy
Nice going, fishero'men. Seventeen inches...dang, that's a real fish. Bet you knew right away it wasn't a perch!
OK, your turn to share: were you trolling? How fast? Near what part of dam? What time of day? Overcast? I'd like to catch his brother this weekend.

F
fisherofmen
was trolling from boat ramp A to the dam. caught it out in front of where the old tar road hits the water. was in
about 50' fishing 20-25' down. using brass cleo and 1 oz banana weight. about 10am as fog was burning off.
was trolling at slowest speed my 8hp merc will go. sometimes slip it in neutral and let lure sink then engage gear to move again. goods luck.