Sandy woes

V
vanbrunt
I have been fishing the Sandy from the bank at either Dodge or Cedar creek since December. I get out 3-4x per month and have only caught one fish (nice chrome steelhead early in the run in April). Any recommendations? I have tried spinners, corkies, prawns, eggs, you name it. Do I pretty much just need to keep at it or am I missing something? I always fish the seams and try to stay in "fishy" water. I typically use a 9' medium action lamiglas rod with 20 or 30# braid on a spinning reel. Thanks in advance for any tips.

N
NoobTooner
yeah. just stick with it. try changing up your sizes and colors a lot. try blending your own colors of yarn and also try corkies alone sometimes. leave the prawns on the grill and go pick up some sandshrimp instead. run these under a bobber about 2-3ft and like i said before, stick with it (and cover as much water as you can!). we all have slumps. even when were killing em 4 seasons in a row. all of a sudden you'll just stop hooking. or even worst, you'll keep hooking and stop landing!!! (aaahhhh!!!) sometimes it just goes like that.

good luck and stay safe.
NT

R
rippin fish lips
NoobTooner said:
y. or even worst, you'll keep hooking and stop landing!!! (aaahhhh!!!) sometimes it just goes like that.

NT

So true!! i lost 3 yesterday! but it happens. yeah just keep at it! it takes a lot of timeeee

V
vanbrunt
Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I'll keep it in mind to try some different sizes and colors and mostly just keep at it!

S
Steelheader4Life
One thing that will really increase you hook up ratio right now will be to get rid of that braid and run some 6-8lb mono or 8-10lb Fluoro. With low clear water you will need to down size everything including hooks, swivels, bait ups, etc. My go to set up for summers is a #3 Bud's Spinner. Stand at the head of the hole and slowly retrieve the spinner up through the rapid keeping it as close to the bottom as possible with the occasional bouce. Work at it for the rest of this year and you'll be ready by next summer! And you always need to keep at it!!

V
vanbrunt
Stand at the head of the hole and slowly retrieve the spinner up through the rapid keeping it as close to the bottom as possible with the occasional bouce. Work at it for the rest of this year and you'll be ready by next summer! And you always need to keep at it!![/QUOTE]

I tried that this weekend. The action seemed slow everywhere but I got one nice hit (might have just been a trout though). Thanks for the help

M
MadMick
It may be that one of your fishing partners is bad luck.