Sandy Update 4/11/09

A
ArcticAmoeba
I follow the pumper tides. Or the full/no moon tides. The fish wash in and out of tidewater, or between the sandbars for days until a big tide comes in, and the fish get shot pastthe brackish, and into fresh water. From there it is a game at guessing how long it takes for fish to be where you expct them. But we intercept fish up the tribs, and it becomes very predictable once you figure out how long it takes fish to travel from the Bar to your favorite trib.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
ArcticAmoeba said:
I follow the pumper tides. Or the full/no moon tides. The fish wash in and out of tidewater, or between the sandbars for days until a big tide comes in, and the fish get shot pastthe brackish, and into fresh water. From there it is a game at guessing how long it takes for fish to be where you expct them. But we intercept fish up the tribs, and it becomes very predictable once you figure out how long it takes fish to travel from the Bar to your favorite trib.

That's sweet....sounds like you could get dialed in on where the fish are at during any season of the year, barring crazy weather, run size, water conditions....

That is assuming you've taken great notes over a period of a couple years of where and when you hooked fish.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
ArcticAmoeba said:

AA....or anyone,

Thanks for the assistance......sorry, your response has spurned another question. I have access to family property on the tidewater of the Trask and Wilson....but have NEVER been successful fishing this type of water.

And I want to head down for a weekend in the near future to try my luck at some spring chinook and/or summer steel.

Reading what you wrote before, it sounds like the tidewater would be most productive just before the peak of the run? If that's the case, would tidewater be the place to be in early May?

Do the fish come in and out of the tidewater for weeks before leaving the bay and commiting to run up river? It also sounds like just a bobber and eggs is all you'd need?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just never been able to figure this out and really want to take advantage of the river access and finally get my 09 tag started!

Thanks!!