Sandy river winter steelhead

E
Ethan079
New member
Hi I'm 17years old new to fishing going to be trying to catch a winter steelhead In the sandy river. Never caught a steelhead or salmon wondering if anyone can give me any tips gonna start going mid December.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C_Run
Ethan079 said:
Hi I'm 17years old new to fishing going to be trying to catch a winter steelhead In the sandy river. Never caught a steelhead or salmon wondering if anyone can give me any tips gonna start going mid December.
I've been bank fishing for steelhead maybe 20 years now. One thing I do is carry two rods rigged differently like one hardware and one bobber rod. Then you can switch things up quickly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cchinook, Ethan079 and Admin
Start checking out some of the many youtube videos. There are many different methods to go after them. Watching those videos may help you narrow down what you want to try. Drift fishing, spinners, spoons and bobber all have their place, but there is a learning curve to each method. Besides the youtube approach to learning, there are some standard old school books out there that might help.

1. Steelhead drift fishing by Bill Herzog 2. Spoon fishing for steelhead by Bill Herzog 3. Steelhead float fishing by Jim Butler and 4. Spinner fishing for steelhead by Jed Davis.

These books contain a lot of information such as where to find steelhead water and steelhead behavior. Something that you will want to know when you hit the river. Here is a good site to get you going. https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-sandy-river-oregon-steelhead-fishing.html

Good luck and tight lines.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cchinook, Chromatose and Ethan079
Ethan079 said:
Hi I'm 17years old new to fishing going to be trying to catch a winter steelhead In the sandy river. Never caught a steelhead or salmon wondering if anyone can give me any tips gonna start going mid December.
Jan. at Dodge Park , bobber and jig . But the roads could be in bad shape .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Admin
cchinook said:
Jan. at Dodge Park , bobber and jig . But the roads could be in bad shape .
If you are serious about salmon fishing give me your phone number on the Direct Message . I will call you. I am 74 and have been doing this for a long time and have trained many young guys. It is a learning curve . Boat and bank. There is not much I do not know about the Sandy. And pluncking the Columbia . Need help with my boat sometimes. The key is what to bring , when to be where , and decent gear and clothes . You have a long ways to go , I did not start until age 30. To much to type . I have had how to rig classes at my house . Free. I will share all I know. It is a lot. Charlie
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fishonshawn84, Irishrover and Admin
Ethan079 said:
Hi I'm 17years old new to fishing going to be trying to catch a winter steelhead In the sandy river. Never caught a steelhead or salmon wondering if anyone can give me any tips gonna start going mid December.
Read my post and look at your Direct Message
 

Similar threads

S
  • Question Question
Replies
1
Views
821
cchinook
C
largefin
Replies
8
Views
3K
Chromatose
C
P
Replies
1
Views
607
cchinook
C
caught_wet_handed
Replies
19
Views
3K
reyaz
reyaz
R
Replies
3
Views
2K
troutdude
troutdude
Back
Top Bottom